Windows 10 - can't change sound volume from system tray if a non-admin user has logged on first

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Windows 10 Home, fully patched.

We have two accounts - mine (admin) and my wife's (no admin rights). If she has logged onto the computer first, the sound level tool won't open for me:

Capture.JPG

I have to go to Control Panel, Sound, Properties, Levels to change the volume.

If I log on first my wife never has this problem on her account.

Any ideas?!

We've had this for a while now - it did work OK originally. I've checked the speaker driver and it's running the latest version. It's a pain because my wife plays games so frequently mutes the speakers!

TIA :)

Can you not just the system sound control rather than the software that came with the soundcard? - I'll be honest, I just use the (soft) volume control on my keyboard... and my wife doesn't use the MMPC very often.

With something like that, I would grant her temporary admin rights, log her on, check it works, log her off, log on as you, check it works.

Then make her a standard user again and try again.

It is probably a bug but sometimes logging in as admin allows Windows to do what it needs to do.

Given you have the ENG language tag up, then unless you have added languages, am I correct in thinking you have upgraded to Windows 10 and never re-installed it?

If so, I have seen unreliability issues with Windows in this state and I would recommend downloading the latest 1803 build, wiping and starting again.

Can you not just the system sound control rather than the software that came with the soundcard?
Thanks for the suggestion but it is the system sound control that I'm trying to use (the 'speakers' icon in the system tray). This is a desktop PC rather than a laptop, and there's no volume control on the keyboard.

But actually you've given me something to try - there is also an icon in the system tray for the sound card software (Realtek HD Audio Manager), which has a right-click 'volume control' option. I'll try that next time I have the problem, and see if I can do it that way.

Can you not just the system sound control rather than the software that came with the soundcard? - I'll be honest, I just use the (soft) volume control on my keyboard... and my wife doesn't use the MMPC very often.

The one highlighted is the system one although the volume control to the right of the highlighted system one might be worth a go...

I tend to disable these aftermarket ones and just use the system one.

With something like that, I would grant her temporary admin rights, log her on, check it works, log her off, log on as you, check it works.

Then make her a standard user again and try again.

It is probably a bug but sometimes logging in as admin allows Windows to do what it needs to do.

Given you have the ENG language tag up, then unless you have added languages, am I correct in thinking you have upgraded to Windows 10 and never re-installed it?

If so, I have seen unreliability issues with Windows in this state and I would recommend downloading the latest 1803 build, wiping and starting again.

Thanks, I'll have a play with that. She never has a problem on her account btw, whether she's started the PC up or I have.

The computer was Win7 Pro originally, upgraded to Win10. It's probably not a big enough issue to re-install Windows, but would be nice to fix if possible.

Thanks, I'll have a play with that. She never has a problem on her account btw, whether she's started the PC up or I have.

The computer was Win7 Pro originally, upgraded to Win10. It's probably not a big enough issue to re-install Windows, but would be nice to fix if possible.

No, but I am wondering if her account and lack of admin rights is messing up the system sound for you because it can't do what it needs to do...

Worth a try.

You could try removing the sound drivers and re-installing them again after a reboot.

Uninstall the Realtek driver, then download and install the latest version?

EDIT: as John already said 50 minutes ago.......... :)

Uninstall the Realtek driver, then download and install the latest version?

As far as I can tell it is already the latest version, but a remove/re-install is probably worth a try.

My mistake! - In my system tray the Windows sound control is a white icon and the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" is a green icon, so I assumed it was the same,

As far as I can tell it is already the latest version, but a remove/re-install is probably worth a try.

Sometimes drivers can get corrupted so even though they appear OK and report a version OK, there could be one or more duff files. Removing and reinstalling will ensure they are as they should be.

My mistake! - In my system tray the Windows sound control is a white icon and the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" is a green icon, so I assumed it was the same,

It is white - but the OP has used a splat of yellow (technical term) to highlight the speaker as well as drawing the yellow circle around it in the screenshot above.

I've seen a few different proprietary icons depending on how old the machine is and who manufacturers the sound hardware / soundcard in the machine.

Solution.

Pick up computer, take outside, drop in correct recycle bin, close lid.

Go to local Apple store, buy suitable computer

Take home.

Job done!

Solution.

Pick up computer, take outside, drop in correct recycle bin, close lid.

Go to local Apple store, buy suitable computer

Take home.

Job done!

I can tell you've never supported over 125 Macs in a corporate environment before then!

No just an abuser, I mean user, when a pc breaks go to IT
manager and get him to put Star onto it and fix it!

Using Mac for 35 years and found it easy to use, never found and PC’s easy to use, just a tool when it breaks get a nerd to fix it, no insult intended.

Even used a Commodore 64 and basic, yes basic, to wire up a tank computer using it to identify wire and give assembler correct location to terminate wire to, it checked connection correct before permitting next wire.

Never ever got a test failure due to incorrect wiring

No just an abuser, I mean user, when a pc breaks go to IT
manager and get him to put Star onto it and fix it!

Yes... that's one of my team of nerds or me if needs be! I see the brunt of issues on both platforms and certainly neither is without issue (including dopey issues).

Using Mac for 35 years and found it easy to use, never found and PC’s easy to use, just a tool when it breaks get a nerd to fix it, no insult intended.

I already refer to my nerds as... well nerds and I guess I am one if it means I can fix a computer! :D So none taken...

Even used a Commodore 64 and basic, yes basic, to wire up a tank computer using it to identify wire and give assembler correct location to terminate wire to, it checked connection correct before permitting next wire.

Never ever got a test failure due to incorrect wiring

That's the computer I started on in the early 80s although I never did anything as adventurous as you did!

So a quick update tonight ... the volume function on the Realtek Audio Manager still works fine when the system volume control won't open. I might still try a couple of the suggestions made above though, when I get some time.

So a quick update tonight ... the volume function on the Realtek Audio Manager still works fine when the system volume control won't open. I might still try a couple of the suggestions made above though, when I get some time.

You might find removing and reinstalling fixes.

If you can live with it - leave it as is.

I personally can't stand this kind of thing which is perhaps a little OCD.

I tend to rebuild my own machine at the drop of a hat though to keep it running as best as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom