Windows 10 now being forced out...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

renault12ts

MB Club Veteran
Car
2005 W215 CL500.
I opened a computer this morning which runs Windows 7 professional to be greeted by a blue screen, "now the legals". This was a Microsoft Terms and conditions page.

I pressed the back button and it said "Welcome to your Windows 10 upgrade". I had not requested the upgrade, so I decided to press decline. It then asked me if I wassure, and that if I did wish to decline it would reinstall (???) my previous version, but it may take some time.

All in all it took more than 10 minutes to get online this morning.

Is this a nasty little Microsoft tactic to force us all to use Windows 10?

Is this a nasty little Microsoft tactic to force us all into the 21st century ?

All joking aside, I've had reports from at least two other people that have not clicked on anything and have come back to their PC to find it upgrading.

create a text file and paste the following inside it

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]
"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

now save it as disable10.reg - double click the file and allow it to be imported into your registry. Windows 10 will now stop trying to install.

I bet that's my issue Mark. I'll have a look when I'm back.

This is the latest one I've found on mine today: -

"Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3123862) 12.2 MB

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete
listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the
associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more
information. After you install this item, you may have to restart
your computer."

I'd suggest a quick search on this patch (and any others you may have listed in Updates) before installing them as there have been over 20 in the last few months pertaining to have the same features as the one above, yet all are a back door installer for Windows 10.

Like you, I don't want this system, I'm quite happy running 7 as this machine is a dedicated work machine and, as such, is used for specific tasks which I run on a daily basis. I don't need to change O/S as I'm quite happy with the one I'm using, though if Microsoft persist in this then my next change will be to a Linux based system

The way to stop it is to disable automatic updates in Control Panel.

Windows 10 has been requesting I upgrade for quite some time. I always declined.
Last night, I was on line and my computer started to power down and I saw the Windows 10 upgrade was installing.
In desperation and anger I held down the power off button until my machine powered off and thankfully I'm still on Windows 7.

My son was in the middle of some important university work yesterday and although he had been declining the upgrade, it was installed whilst he had his eye off the ball before he could do much about it.

What's wrong with windows 10? I've got it and its fine

I don't even know. I just hate guinea-pigging for Microsoft and the fear that Windows 10 is anything like Windows 8 is enough to make me be wary of it.

If it ain't broke...

I have W10 on my laptop and much prefer the version on my main machine which is W7. There have been several reported issues with W10 not liking certain hardware and software, to the point of some drivers crashing it. As this PC is on constantly, I can really do without a buggy system and this one is set up exactly how I want it.

Also what Ringway said above me. ^^

Interesting. I've noticed some odd behaviour on my Win7 Home Premium machine this week - the Shut Down button shows the 'shut down and install updates' icon all the time, although nothing happens at shut down or startup. Windows Update reports a failed update on 15/5, but there's nothing shown in the update history for that date. The Win10 upgrade is the only outstanding 'important' update listed.

I also have a laptop running Win7 Pro, which is fine.

I've nothing in principle against upgrading but I've had issues in the past so would like to put it off as long as I can! I ended up having to buy a new scanner when I went from XP to Win7 as the expensive Canon one I had was no longer supported.

This is the latest one I've found on mine today: -

"Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3123862) 12.2 MB

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete
listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the
associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more
information. After you install this item, you may have to restart
your computer."

I'd suggest a quick search on this patch (and any others you may have listed in Updates) before installing them as there have been over 20 in the last few months pertaining to have the same features as the one above, yet all are a back door installer for Windows 10.

I've got that one plus another six all with the same generic description under 'optional updates'. Not touching any of them :D

The way to stop it is to disable automatic updates in Control Panel.

Or just grit your teeth and install the thing.

I've put it on half a dozen machines and speaking as someone who has been 'in' IT for 35 years, it is not really any better or worse than any other operating system, for most users. :dk:

The point is not about what is wrong or right with it...but that it is being pushed rather forcefully.

This behaviour is probably no different to iPhones and MAC's where if you don't update things start to stop working. I actually found Windows 10 to be very good and to work with very old applications and hardware that I had no right to expect it to work with (old minidisc recorder anyone).

the driver issues are probably because the hardware manufactures haven't upgraded and anyway there is a checking tool available so you can check if your PC hardware/software can take the upgrade or not.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/heres-how-to-check-if-your-pc-can-run-windows-10-124868299274.html

This behaviour is probably no different to iPhones and MAC's where if you don't update things start to stop working. I actually found Windows 10 to be very good and to work with very old applications and hardware that I had no right to expect it to work with (old minidisc recorder anyone).

the driver issues are probably because the hardware manufactures haven't upgraded and anyway there is a checking tool available so you can check if your PC hardware/software can take the upgrade or not.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/heres-how-to-check-if-your-pc-can-run-windows-10-124868299274.html

Exactly this ^^^^

Windows 10 is the PC answer to the android/iOS mobile operating system and once upgraded/installed we will never have to purchase another PC operating system as MS will simply push updates to the PC, just like Android and Apple do to phones.

Of course as the OS evolves the PC hardware will become outdated and need replacing, just like mobile phones gradually fail to cope with the demands of the OS

Last edited:
I've used W10 since it came out and it's been fine, having said that I had W8 so anythin g would seem better!

It's a funny subject, there was a thread about new phones the other week and one in particular was praised as it received updates earlier than others.

I'll bet on the 'young people's' forum they can't wait for new stuff!

This behaviour is probably no different to iPhones and MAC's where if you don't update things start to stop working.

I'm sorry, but that's just nonsense.

Oh, and if you're talking about Apple computers - it's Mac, not MAC (which is a network address i.e. Media Access Control) ... and the plural is formed by adding "s", without apostrophe ... and my Apple Mac laptops happily running OS, two versions behind the latest one, with everything working as it should.

Google Nexus phones receive OS updates before any other Android phone ;)

I upgrade to WN10 as soon as it became available and have had no issues at all and IMHO it's quicker than WN7 I had before..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom