Windows 10/partitioning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I've slowly moving over from my W7 laptop to a well specced Dell with W10 (slowly because I'm not a fan of W10, tbh).

The new laptop has two hard drives, a 250GB SSD which has by default the operating system and usual folders containing Documents etc, and a standard (data) 2TB. I'm now transferring other files across from the old one in to the Documents folder, but the SSD containing the Documents and other folders is nearly full.

How would I set up the 2TB drive to be the default location for the folders that are currently located on the SSD by default please? I've currently pinned the large HD to the start menu and provisionally created new folders, which means I will have two locations for Docs/Pictures/Music folders, which I don't want, of course.

I'm sure this is a schoolboy elementary scenario, but I'd appreciate someone holding my hand anyway! Thanks in advance

If you go into Windows Explorer, find 'Quick Access', right click on 'Documents', then properties.

You'll then be able to navigate to a 'Location' tab where you set the default documents location to a folder on the 2TB drive. In the image below you can see I've set mine to a NAS (Network Attached Storage) so that I can easily format my machine an rebuild, if required, without losing data:

NhCmoTX.png

Keep in mind any data in the existing folder will still need moving manually, I suspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: MD5
That's fantastic, Carl, thank you.

No problem, it's easy when you know how! :).

I used to enjoy exploring everything and finding out the hard way, but it totally winds me up these days! I will set a bit of time aside just to learn the re-arrangements of W10, but I'm still getting to grips with Outlook for emails instead of Windows Live!!

Thanks again.

Keep in mind any data in the existing folder will still need moving manually, I suspect.

When you change the location, Windows will ask you if you want to move everything into the new folder.

Reactions: MD5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom