windows 10 sticky notes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
we must have some i.t guys who know what they are talking about rather than the google teams..
ive built a new pc and fitted my old ssd drive which has all my old information on.as its a new pc with new hardware win 10 will not boot so fitted a new ssd and kept old unit as a spare backup..ive copied all info i need but cannot find the STICKY NOTES FILE TO COPY ONTO NEW SSD.
tried lots of instructions on google nothing works..driving me insane

Do you mean the the app is working and you want your notes copied over?
If so you are looking for a file in your old profile called stickynotes.snt which is usually in %AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes.

thanks for reply
yes i can find the file on the operating system i am using,but when i connect the old ssd to the pc using a usb lead and search the old ssd i cant find the file on that.
using the run file it only looks for the file in the current win 10 operating system,

AppData is a hidden folder, so you must specify the path manually because you can't browse to it.

Also, you may have permission issues when trying to access files in the x:\users\ folders on the old SSD, but try typing-in the full path first before looking into permissions.

How to Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 » Winhelponline
Sometimes- I'm not saying in this case - as I'm unfamiliar with this type of file :confused: - it can help to temporarily rename the file --- the old one or sometimes the new one [ if its created automatically when the file application its associated with is run] to something else- this allows you to use other applications to recognise it?

all advise and guides are when the sticky notes are on the operating system drive not when trying to retrieve from an external drive

You’d be better off booting the old drive on the old hardware and grabbing this file. It seems doing it under Windows is problematic, as you’ve found.

If you can’t do that, then using another OS and attaching the ‘old’ drive might give you access.

thanks for advise to all..
ended up re building the old pc and cut and paste the sticky note,spend 4 hours and got nowhere .
why do windows change the file with the latest update!!

again thanks

all advise and guides are when the sticky notes are on the operating system drive not when trying to retrieve from an external drive

You just need to find the file mentioned and copy it to the same profile location e.g. your USB drive is D: so copy the stickynotes.snt from the profile location in D: which is usually users\your user name\AppData\Microsoft\Sticky Notes to C:....

altonant
since the latest update with win 10 its changed.
also the file is on an old hdd i used on another pc,not on the one that had my current operating system,so all methods will not work,ive rebuilt my old pc and opened the sticky note and cut/paste the text.
all done except it was long winded way of doing it

thanks all

For a while now there has been a sign in facility within 10 which allows Windows to automatically backup your Sticky Notes to the cloud instead having to copy the SNT file around.

If you prefer old school, I would ensure you have a backup of that file as if you don't sign in, it runs in local-copy mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom