Windows 7 or vista..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

williamssam81

Banned
Hi to all
I am planning to buy new laptop.But confused little which system to buy.So please share your experience so i can get some ideas.which one is better..?

Last edited:
W7 by a tiny tiny amount.....But I would still recommend XP......

I'm slowly warming to Windows 7.

I think the interface is for dummies and the menu system totally ill thought out but the one saving grace it has is that you can do a complete fresh install off a DVD in under 30 minutes start to finish.

Move to Apple ! W7 is just another Craposoft Merchandise :) Xp SP3 still good. Or Vista ultimate x64 Black edition

I up until a week ago would have said xp but I (dispite saying I would not use 7 until service pack 2) bought it last week and I really like it, much better than vista but not as stable as xp.

Bought a new "work" laptop a few months ago and had it downgraded from Vista to XP. My wife has Vista on hers and I hated it! 7 maybe better, I'll see in a couple of years!

7 is the way to go. Forget Vista. Microsoft are trying to.

XP is perfectly compatible with all my web and ftp software also I find it much simpler and more user friendly. Vista seems less intuitive to me. I'll see what 7 is like when it's time to upgrade my laptop. Just my opinion and maybe based more on familiarity and compatibility - but I know a lot of people who did the same thing as me...

Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. For a new laptop, it's definitely the way to go.

I also use Mac OS X: it's fine as far as it goes, but the supported hardware and available applications are very limited, not to mention the fact that a new laptop costs at least twice as much as an equivalent Windows laptop.

Also, my five-year-old iMac is now almost completely obsolete, whereas I am still happily running Windows XP on six- and eight-year-old hardware.

The problem with Windows XP is that support for it will stop within the normal lifetime of a new laptop. You won't really want to spend £200 on a new operating system in a few years' time.

Last edited:
Worked with MS products since 1985 in my IBM days, XPSP3 is without doubt the best sorted OS. It's typical of Microsoft just as they have sorted a system that doesn’t fall over and reasonably stable they go and release a real bummer of an OS, such as Vista, and just like Windows NT (Windows Not Tested) it sucked and was none compatible with most industrial strength Software on its release. As a result we had to uninstall Vista and install XP Pro on all our machines.

I always think the real sign is when you compare the size of the original install of XP program and how the program evolved over the years with updates and security fixes. Only now is it relaiable and stable some 6-7 years after its release, and really it was a tweaked version of windows 2000/Millennium so it's been around some time. It tells you everything you need to know, and that is why I’d be in no hurry to jump to a new Operating System in a hurry. Wait for the reviews to come out for a few months or so then make your decision based on that would be my advice. ;):)

Hmm, I still have 2 NT4 servers in my domain lol, they run just fine. one goes offline in a few weeks, the last may be a while as it runs Oracle and is a bitch to move it all, and get the application reinstalled

The problem with Windows XP is that support for it will stop within the normal lifetime of a new laptop. You won't really want to spend £200 on a new operating system in a few years' time.

XP will have extended support until 2014 I believe. Saying that, when did you (as a home user) last tap microsoft on the shoulder for support on anything?

I still have an old windows 98 PC running in my household. It's great because no one writes viruses for it anymore and Microsoft dont keep sending me updates and telling me to restart my PC. Boots faster that the very latest PC exotica running Windows 7 too I'll bet.

i have been running windows 7 and rolled it out to the majority of our users in our office, it is much better than vista (which i did not roll out). Windows xp on new hardware (downgraded with xp downgrade disk from lenovo) caused too many reliablility issues especially if machines were up and running for longer periods of time which i have not expirienced with windows 7 (yet).

so my bet would be go for windows 7 and you will be okay for the next 3-4 years, if you go with xp you will have an issue if you like to upgrade as there is no good upgrade path and you have to reinstall windows 7 from scratch and recover your files from backup and reinstall applications and all your settings etc

my 2 pence worth

i have been running windows 7 and rolled it out to the majority of our users in our office, it is much better than vista (which i did not roll out). Windows xp on new hardware (downgraded with xp downgrade disk from lenovo) caused too many reliablility issues especially if machines were up and running for longer periods of time which i have not expirienced with windows 7 (yet).

so my bet would be go for windows 7 and you will be okay for the next 3-4 years, if you go with xp you will have an issue if you like to upgrade as there is no good upgrade path and you have to reinstall windows 7 from scratch and recover your files from backup and reinstall applications and all your settings etc

my 2 pence worth

Thats not entirely true, there are some third party applications that will allow you to do an inplace upgrade from XP to Windows 7, (using a clean windows 7 install) and at the same time move your Data AND applications from one to the other.

For business use, I'd stick with XP for now and consider SP1 to be a better timeframe for a cutover.

>Boeken Your Windows 7 testing must have been very short before rolling it out to users. In our environment it takes a year to 18 months full time work for a team of 5 to ratify a new OS with our infrastructure.

I have found that programmes load so much quicker in windows 7 than they did in vista, especially Outlook... my only downside is that my sd card isnt working anymore..

I have found that programmes load so much quicker in windows 7 than they did in vista, especially Outlook... my only downside is that my sd card isnt working anymore..

ROTFL

Yeah but programs still load slower in Windows 7 than they do in XP. Oh and my SD card still works too :D

It's not always progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom