Windows 7 pro retail disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kamisuma

SUPPORTER
Car
Various Shiny Mercedes, MGA, Daimler Dart,Lotus 7 SII,Lotus Elite T14,M1
Does anyone have a windows 7 professional (32bit) Retail disc i could borrow for a short time.

Dell laptop wont reinstall using existing recovery discs so need the media for a short while to install via this route.

I have my own windows licence but media seems quite hard to find unless you pay for a licence as well.

Thanks

That only applies to retail licences.

Mine is OEM and although the site recognises the licence download is stopped because it is OEM.

Could there be a link as to why the existing recovery disc fails and the download stops?

There's nothing mentioned regarding retail vs. OEM licences. Unless the OEM license is hardware specific?

Could there be a link as to why the existing recovery disc fails and the download stops?

There's nothing mentioned regarding retail vs. OEM licences. Unless the OEM license is hardware specific?

There is - the recovery partition is corrupt. This is nothing to do with licences.

The recovery media from DELL uses the recovery partition to rebuild - but cannot because it is unusable.

I need to use a Windows 7 disc or USB but cannot use a recovery disc. I will reuse my licence with the fresh install.

Recovery partitions are ok until something makes them unusable as in my case.

If you can't get it via Dell (unusual) then I would use the retail version and then use the Microsoft phone activation line would be the easiest way. They will activate an OEM PC that way.

https://www.mydigitallife.info/down...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

It is not unusual for DELL (and other manufacturers) to be uncooperative. They only supply images of the original configuration even though I have a legitimate licence from them.

Dell class it as unsupported (for W7) as it was initially supplied with XP Pro. I obtained a legitimate DELL W7 licence and upgraded it 9 months before it was anounced XP would cease support.

It is an Inspiron 9400 with a T7600 Core 2 duo, 512 MB 7950 GTX GO video card and runs fast enough for the purpose to which I usually put it.

There are specific rules regarding OEM licensing.

For example, you can't (legally) use an OEM License to upgrade Windows on your laptop. OEM License is only meant to be bundled with a new PC.

If you bought an OEM Windows 7 Pro License and used it to upgrade your Win XP Pro then you are in breach of the EULA.

Not taking the moral high ground, just trying to explain why you will get little support from Dell or Microsoft.

I did this recently and downloaded the iso from Dell. Have you tried? PM me the ServiceTag and ill have a look at the way I found it.

Just using the model number suggests it was shipped with either XP or Vista and not Win7 so the Dell OEM iso I downloaded will not work as it requires the bios to have the slp key embedded.

Last edited:
Ah, didn't realise it was not an original Win 7 PC which explains why Dell won't help.

The Microsoft activation method may not work either as you shouldn't be able able to upgrade via another OEM license code, just retail. Maybe worth a try though as they are often not that strict.

From Windows XP onwards, I've never known genuine Dell recovery media be anything other than a proper version of Windows on a CD or DVD (so it doesn't use any partition) but with activation built in that needs a BIOS on your motherboard containing your legitimate Windows key - at least in the case of Windows Vista or newer. If your BIOS only had Vista or older, it won't work. However, I can't remember whether it won't install or just won't activate and then you can use your legitimate OEM key to then activate it.

You can use a retail version of Windows 7 and activate with an OEM key (using the phone line worse-case).

If you can get hold of a legitimate Windows 7 key, use that site from bob6600 and download the ISO - then activate with your own legitimate key as, as said, Microsoft aren't that strict.

As said though, you cannot legally use an OEM key from another machine.

From Windows XP onwards, I've never known genuine Dell recovery media be anything other than a proper version of Windows on a CD or DVD (so it doesn't use any partition) but with activation built in that needs a BIOS on your motherboard containing your legitimate Windows key - at least in the case of Windows Vista or newer. If your BIOS only had Vista or older, it won't work. However, I can't remember whether it won't install or just won't activate and then you can use your legitimate OEM key to then activate it.

You can use a retail version of Windows 7 and activate with an OEM key (using the phone line worse-case).

If you can get hold of a legitimate Windows 7 key, use that site from bob6600 and download the ISO - then activate with your own legitimate key as, as said, Microsoft aren't that strict.

As said though, you cannot legally use an OEM key from another machine.

There are specific rules regarding OEM licensing.

For example, you can't (legally) use an OEM License to upgrade Windows on your laptop. OEM License is only meant to be bundled with a new PC.

If you bought an OEM Windows 7 Pro License and used it to upgrade your Win XP Pro then you are in breach of the EULA.

Not taking the moral high ground, just trying to explain why you will get little support from Dell or Microsoft.

If you fully read the EULA you will find that I have not broken it. I upgraded the laptop using the Core 2 Duo, an upgraded motherboard and the 7950 GTX GO which are legitimate mechanisms to allow the OEM upgrade. It was also purchased from DELL in full knowlege of what I had done. It was effectively a Dell XPS M1710.

The key is legitimate and from the same machine on which I am trying to reinstall. It has already been installed activated on the spec above, and used successfully on this machine.

By the way, Microsoft are that strict about the download; I have tried that method as answered above, and it identifies the key as DELL OEM and does not allow the download.

I know what I am doing and merely need use of the relevant disc(s) for a short while if anyone has them.

I won't download an ISO from a none trusted source hence my attempt to obtain retail discs.

If you fully read the EULA you will find that I have not broken it. I upgraded the laptop using the Core 2 Duo, an upgraded motherboard and the 7950 GTX GO which are legitimate mechanisms to allow the OEM upgrade. It was also purchased from DELL in full knowlege of what I had done. It was effectively a Dell XPS M1710.

The key is legitimate and from the same machine on which I am trying to reinstall. It has already been installed activated on the spec above, and used successfully on this machine.

None of us had a crystal ball to know that. Simply taking an OEM key from another machine is illegal.

By the way, Microsoft are that strict about the download; I have tried that method as answered above, and it identifies the key as DELL OEM and does not allow the download.

Indeed. A legitimate key that I mentioned would be a retail key for the purposes of downloading the ISO.

I know what I am doing and merely need use of the relevant disc(s) for a short while if anyone has them.

I won't download an ISO from a none trusted source hence my attempt to obtain retail discs.

Good luck with your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom