Windows 7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Is anyone here involved in the testing of the Beta of Windows 7 ? If so is it any good?

When will microsoft learn that people want speed and power over desktop gadgets and fancy folder views? :confused:

I'm not yet seeing any reason to move from XP for the home user.

For corporates, later OS's have some useful security enhancements but the performance hit is too costly for my liking.

Microsofts approach with server operating systems has been - Wind 2000 was a new gen server (updated from NT) - witn Windows 2003 it was a case of security and stability - and with windows 2008 the focus is on manageability.

Likewise with the client/desktop systems - Windows XP is the stable/secure version - and Vista is a stepping stone to the next generation system which is called Windows 7.

Vista is the windows Millenium equivalent...

With Windows 7 there will be a lot more of the mobile, bluetooth, virtual device integration as well as setting the future standards. It is slated to be the next big release.

Why do Apple users love their OS and go into raptures about it and MS users moan and complain but stick with it through thick and thin.............is there THAT much difference? If so why are we all using MS products...:confused:

My reason is cost -- are there any others?

Why do Apple users love their OS and go into raptures about it and MS users moan and complain but stick with it through thick and thin.............is there THAT much difference? If so why are we all using MS products...:confused:

That is true. My daughter uses an applemac and hates my PC.
I have used both and to be honest, for most tasks, there is not alot to pick between the two OS except for the presentation and user interface screens.

Corporates all around the globe rely on Microsofts architecture and Active Directory structure.

The reason? There isn't really a viable alternative.

We have an Apple network sitting alongside an MS one and to be honest it can be hard work.

Corporates all around the globe rely on Microsofts architecture and Active Directory structure.

The reason? There isn't really a viable alternative.

That's become true rather than was true. There are viable alternatives but as with most things in the IT world the market makes poor choices and AD dominates.

Why do Apple users love their OS and go into raptures about it and MS users moan and complain but stick with it through thick and thin.............is there THAT much difference? If so why are we all using MS products...

Apple have one advantage on the usability stakes and it has little to do with their OS or user interface. It's simply control of the hardware platform.
That allows them to streamline things.

If you start playing with the configuration options in Mac OS vs Windows you find that there is a lot less to tamper with.

However Macs are not as perfect and stable as some of the more dogmatic advocates claim. And despite various articles claiming rough price parity they are not cheap - Apple skimped on the display quality of the original plastic cased Macbooks and got away with it.

We use MS products because our customers use them.

We find that the number of man hours lost dealing with Windows problems makes MS more expensive.

Everything on Windows seems to require a complex subsystem. And more actual physical systems. And that complexity leads to odd obscure failures. The scary thing is that when you encounter a problem that there are often several remedies in the knowledge base - none of which work.

IMHO Vista = Windows ME, remember that stop gap OS

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom