Windows called me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

renault12ts

MB Club Veteran
Car
2005 W215 CL500.
...should I be worried.

They said they were from windows and were warning about trojan files etc.
I was was asked to type "prefetch" into the run box this showed files, which apparently are malicious.

I was then passed over to a supervisor who asked ,me to type in "wwwdot teamviewerdotcom" ...at this point I ended the call.

What do you all think?

Well, they would be from Microsoft...not Windows :doh:

I think your PC is probably already compromised.

I'd recommend a complete removal and reistall of all software. I'd certainly not be doing any online transactions for one.

Why would they (or anyone) call you about your PC out of the blue?

Prefetch files are perfectly normal in windows.

I'm guessing that the website you were asked to go to has some form of driveby trojan.

It looks very much like a SCAM to me - I suggest that you remove the url/link just in case.

Edit: looks like the site is legit, but they would have been able to infect your machine, and hold you to ransome, had you allowed them access.

Last edited:
Its another variation on the telephone call centre from the Indian subcontinent telling you your computer is compromised with spyware, malware etc. The telling phrase is always "are you in front of your computer now? " You then get set of instructions to cede access to your computer to them- they then download a heap of malware on to your previously clean computer - and thus the prophesy is fulfilled! :eek: They then kindly inform you your computer is infected but they can clean it up for you ---- for a fee! :rolleyes: Credit Card nos then become involved. The subtle thing is its almost impossible to prove this type of wrongdoing since you gave them permission to access your computer and it might have had malware on it before. So they might be providing a legitimate service.
They don't charge too much to keep their profile low but multiply that up by many "victims" and its worth thousands HANGING IS TO GOOD FOR THESE B******S!:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Not necessarily. What they're trying to do is get the victiom to download and install legitimate software that will allow them remote access.

As long as the OP didn't let them in he should be fine.

Because if you dial numbers at random you will find a reasonable % of people who answer are next to a computer.

It's a relatively simple a scam to allow them to get into the machine - demonstrate that it is infected and then persuade the victim to pay for a service to clean it.

Thanks all, I was suspicious from the very start...but when asked to enter a URL I stopped.

So beware out there.

Yeah I had a guy call me at the office from "Microsoft Limited" regarding the Windows computer systems at my company.. I asked him to confirm the company name and serial/licence numbers for the operating systems and he had no clue so I told him to not attempt to scam someone unless he's got his script prepared properly :D

Do you own a PS3??

Seems if you do, all of your info you have have on it if you are 'network' connected has been stolen, along with 77 MILLION other people!

The FIL had all but one of each of his shares in an online share account sold without his permission.

Luckily the paying out password was different and blocked.

He considers himself quite lucky, they sold at a particularly opportune time, they made him nearly a thousand pounds.

Do you own a PS3??

Seems if you do, all of your info you have have on it if you are 'network' connected has been stolen, along with 77 MILLION other people!

Awesome! Fortunately I've never put a credit card on there for buying games/films from PSN, not sure what someone will do with my name and an old email address that I never use... :dk:

Awesome! Fortunately I've never put a credit card on there for buying games/films from PSN, not sure what someone will do with my name and an old email address that I never use... :dk:

Yeah think you and I are in the clear, I also have never put CC details in to buy anything.

Sure we weill be getting some scam e-mails but can filter those out. It's the poor folks who CC details they have, along with the other info.

Good odds most will be OK, 77 milllion sets of details is a lot to go through!

It's the digital version of " Hello Madam, I was just passing in the street and couldn't help noticing that you have a couple of slates loose on your roof. That will cause you a lot of trouble come next winter you know. As it happens I work for a roofing company and we were just working in the next street. I could have a look for you in a couple of days [ = dislodge a couple of slates and maybe a bit of flashing while I'm at it] if you like, and give you an estimate. As I said HANGING IS TOO GOOD FOR THESE B******S

Yeah think you and I are in the clear, I also have never put CC details in to buy anything.

Sure we weill be getting some scam e-mails but can filter those out. It's the poor folks who CC details they have, along with the other info.

Good odds most will be OK, 77 milllion sets of details is a lot to go through!

From what i read they took CC details but not the 3 digit (4 for Amex) security codes as these are not stored.

I'd recommend a complete removal and reistall of all software. I'd certainly not be doing any online transactions for one.

They're just scam calls - I work from home and they come in waves, last lot was a month or so ago.

It is actually quite hard to compromise a computer remotely unless you know what you are doing - and a lot easier to use social engineering to get people to do it for you - which is the case here and has been for a long time now.

Given what the OP has done and has not done, the computer will have the same integrity as before.

I guess the bottom line is being suspicious about following any requests unless you are 100% they are from a known-legit source (either human or computer).

Had a similar call last year from onlinepchub managed to keep the guy talking for ages then said I had to go out so did not have time to get the fix then,he was rather annoyed, suppose the call must have cost a fair bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom