Windows drop two inches when door opened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the prince

Car
2001 CLK 230k
Hi just had a new fault today and wondered if anyone had any thoughts. A few things to mention. I have had car parked up for a few weeks so thought i'd charge battery overnight. Disconnected as per manual and reconnected. All ok.:D

Started up fine. :D

Noticed water in passenger footwell :fail (unrelated i know) pulled up carpets and attempted to dry out carpet and sound proofing. Noticed box section in foam of carpet (ECU?)

Anyway as this is unfolding etc, i also noticed that when i went to open the door, window dropped around two inches, not the usual half an inch. Also when the door was closed it didn't close up again. The same fault also occurred on the passenger door. The doors were able to be closed back up to the top with the button, but when the door was opened again, they again dropped two inches. Any pointers on the problem/fix for this fault?:mad:

You need to open and close the windows fully holding the buttons down for a few seconds in each direction so that they can re-learn the limits of travel. Then the one-touch operation and the auto drop will work properly again.

As you disconnected the battery you may also need to turn the steering lock fully to the left and then to the right to clear the SRS light warning

Just got this car two weeks ago and like any old car, there are known faults and new ones that develop. I also have an old Golf GTI and MG, and use the forums regularly to get tips from those in the know. My Land Rover has needed work on almost everything in the 6 years i've owned it so i now know how to repair most items.

Thanks again for your helpful tips. It's only through owning or using one of these cars that you get to know these idiosyncrasies. Despite the teething problems, i get the feeling that the CLK is a keeper.

When resetting the windows, be sure to use the 'manual' mode of the switch.

Operating it to the full extent of its travel engages the one touch mode, but you'll be able to feel a detent halfway through its travel. This is the manual mode you need to use, where the window only moves while you hold the switch there.

Fully open the window using manual mode and hold the switch in position for five to ten seconds after the window reaches the end of its travel. Then do the same for the other direction.

When resetting the windows, be sure to use the 'manual' mode of the switch.

Operating it to the full extent of its travel engages the one touch mode, but you'll be able to feel a detent halfway through its travel. This is the manual mode you need to use, where the window only moves while you hold the switch there.

Fully open the window using manual mode and hold the switch in position for five to ten seconds after the window reaches the end of its travel. Then do the same for the other direction.

As you know i'm a new owner so bare with me:confused:
When you say 'manual mode' do you mean the switches on the doors?

As you know i'm a new owner so bare with me:confused:
When you say 'manual mode' do you mean the switches on the doors?

Yes he does. When you push the switch there is a resistance point which if you pass the window goes all the way down, the one touch function.

To set the windows you have to push and hold the switch but not pass this point until the window is down and then hold it there for 10 seconds. Then operate the switch to close the window, again not going into the one touch point and holding for 10 seconds

Yep, like above. It's a two stage switch, just have a play and it'll be obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom