Windows explorer (VISTA 32) keeps crashing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
gents / ladies

need some help please

on one of my home computers, i have vista 32bit running.

Since yesterday, everytime i go to my documents, and try and open a folder, a message comes up, that windows explorer (not internet explorer) is not responding, and it needs to be restarted..

so effectively, i can not go into any of my files... nor hold a folder open for more than 20 seconds.

if i use excel, and then open a document, again the window that opens for the folder crashes, and then the program crashes, same with outlook, same with firefox.

any ideas or tips.

Im running a diagnostics repair at the moment.

I have also booted from cd, so this is running.

Its replacing a variety of bad clusters as we speak, but has anyone had any experience on this or any remedy?

Quite urgent now

I had Vista 32 bit on wife's laptop and Vista 64 bit on my desktop. After 2 or 3 system crashes and full reinstalls on each in the space of 12 months (including the problem you now have) I gave up and have just upgraded to Win7 - Pro 32 bit on wife's Dell Inspiron 1720 and Home Premium 64 bit on mine, both from OEM discs bought on eBay and Amazon. Total cost about £110.

Hopefully you've got everything backed up to an external drive. If so, I'd recommend binning Vista and installing Win7.

Vista should never have been released ram hungry and a complete pain.
windows 7 all the way!
Seems windows get every other OS right.

Worse-case you might need to remove the disk and plug in to another computer via an appropriate cheap SATA chassis and copy the data off that way.

You could re-install Vista and it should be fine.

However it is a crock and really you want to be running Windows 7 at least now as said.

I would do the maths though as it may not be worth spending money on your computer if it is too old although any computer that can run Fista can run 7 more easily.

It's Vista, it always does that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom