Windows Folder 'Map'

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
I am trying to illustrate a standard folder filing structure as part of an employee induction pack and want to show it to two levels - ie for a specific project I want to show six section folders, with the next level of subfolders [approx 10] for each.

There does not seem to be a utility in windows to do this. Explorer would be OK but there are too many folders to see in one view.

Anyone know of a utility that would allow me to do this as a single page image?

Thanks

Sean

Noodle-Pulp

Car
C250CGI, previous C230 Coupe, SLK200, C200 Coupe
start > run > cmd
cd <whatever top level folder>
tree

if you want to save it
tree > mytree.txt

and open in notepad

Geezer255

how about a screen grab and then edit it in paint so it still appears like it would on the screen??

Noodle-Pulp

Car
C250CGI, previous C230 Coupe, SLK200, C200 Coupe
how about a screen grab and then edit it in paint so it still appears like it would on the screen??

A couple of handy tips here...
Press the "Print Screen" key somewhere on the top RIGHT of your keyboard to copy the entire screen and then open a graphical application (paint or MS Wordpad or MS Word..) and edit > paste

If you only want to grab the current window that's open, hold down the ALT key and press "PRINT SCREEN" - and then paste into your graphic application (e.g. MS Word, paint or whatever)

Another thing to note is that it's sometimes more efficient to save as a jpg or bmp and then inser this into word - rather than pasting straight into word.. this is because the filesize is smaller.

(to the pedantic person at the back, yes I know "a couple" = 2!)

Last edited:

masqueraid

Car
E220 CDi & A170CDi
Maybe something like this? ;)

FolderTree.gif

OP
OP
ShinyF1

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
Thanks for the replies. I do the screen grab bit but have too many subfolders for it to fit on a single page - hence the question.

Will try the DOS method to see if I can convert raw text data into a flow chart..

OP
OP
ShinyF1

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
start > run > cmd
cd <whatever top level folder>
tree

if you want to save it
tree > mytree.txt

and open in notepad

Brilliant - exactly what I need

Thanks

Sean

Geezer255

not a standard windows app but how about something like visio??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom