Windows Image & Fax Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Here in the building trade we still mostly use faxes (e-mail will arrive one day!)
I receive my faxes via an on-line service as an e-mail attachment - a ".tif" image.
To view the images I used to use a piece of software which is no longer available to me.
I run XP & my web browser is Firefox, to receive these fax images I use a hotmail account.
When opening the e-mail I am shown the first page of the fax and clicking on the attachment I am given the choice of either downloading the fax or viewing it.
With the viewing option there is an "open with" box but the available options do not include Windows Image & Fax viewer. Using any of the other options, I can only view the first page of the fax.
If I download the attachment, I again have the "open with" box. Here, Windows Image & Fax Viewer is an option and using it allows me to see all pages of the fax.
If I select any of the other image viewing/editing programs, I can only see the first page of the fax.
This is OK, but long winded. I would like the option to view all pages of the fax without downloading the .tif file.
Does anyone know the location of Windows Image & Fax Viewer in my pc so I can set it as an option in the "open with" box in Firefox?

The Image and Fax Viewer is a dll and not a .exe so I don't think you can do this in firefox.

However you could try opening a normal explorer windows doing Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types tab and selecting the Windows Image and Fax Viewer as the default application for TIF files. This might persuade firefox to give you this option.

The Image and Fax Viewer is a dll and not a .exe so I don't think you can do this in firefox.

However you could try opening a normal explorer windows doing Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types tab and selecting the Windows Image and Fax Viewer as the default application for TIF files. This might persuade firefox to give you this option.

Nope:mad: tried that followed by a restart - no change! Thanks anyway.

Does anyone know the location of Windows Image & Fax Viewer in my pc so I can set it as an option in the "open with" box in Firefox?

Control panel. add/remove programs, then add/remove windows components. I think you need to select paint, which is in the accessories category, as well as fax.

If you right click over the file, can you select the "open with" option, and "choose program" at the bottom of the list?

Did that but still unable to select windows image & fax viewer in the "open with" box. However, I've managed to revisit a site I used to use for for online fax-to-mail (efax.com) and after some searching of their site I found their "free" fax viewer software.
Now I can "open with efax" or if I choose to download the "image" I can open with "Windows Image & Fax Viewer".
Problem solved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom