Windows local profile error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

My father in laws laptop is showing the following message in log in " Windows cannot find the local profile", is this a common problem and how can it be resolved.

Many thanks for your help.

Tan

I'd start by logging on as administrator and then check that the profile is actually there (which it probably is).

then I'd open a DOS box and type chkdsk c: /f (assuming the drive letter is C)

Let it restart and do as scan and see if it fixes the problem.

As others have said, make sure you have a decent backup as it does sound like disk corruption.

Normally I'd agree with you Sp!ke, but not this time. If the drive is failing, then all running chkdsk will do is perhaps force the drive to reallocate a few more bad sectors. A short term fix at best, and at worst, if those bad sectors are in a part of the drive where the windows system files are located, it could result in the computer not booting at all.

Get the user data off the drive first. Before you do ANYTHING else.

Then, pull down a copy of DiskCheckup from here. It's free for non-commercial uses. Install it then run it.

Select your drive from the icons at the top, then click the "SMART Info" tab.

If the RAW figure for Reallocated Sector Count, Current Pending Sector Count, or Reallocation Event Count is higher than zero, then the drive is throwing up bad sectors. Replace it.

If you want to run a REALLY through test of the drive, try this. I've put it in quotes so it doesn't get confused with the rest of my post. It's a bit more technical but not particularly difficult.

Don't bother with the manufacturer's tests. They only tend to tell you when the drive is actually failing, imo. Whereas there are utilites that can surface scan the drive to show you its state so you can see if you're going to be running into problems in the future.

Download a copy of MHDD 4.6 from hddguru.com, burn it to CD (or use the floppy version if you're so inclined, it has the same functionality). It's free.

Make sure your drive is set as master if it's an IDE drive then boot from the CD/floppy.

Select your drive from the list by typing the corresponding number next to it, hit F2 to identify it, then hit F8 to see the SMART stats.

If the RAW figure for Reallocated Sector Count, Current Pending Sector Count, or Reallocation Event Count is higher than zero, then the drive is throwing up bad sectors. Replace it.

Hit F4, then F4 again to run a surface scan. 3ms, 10ms, 50ms blocks are all fine for a modern drive. 150ms indicates a little slowness reading a specific block but isn't bad. 500ms means the drive is having issues reading a block which will probably be reallocated if it gets worse.

UNC, IDNF, AMNF, T0NF, any of those and backup your data and get yourself a new drive.

The only thing to note with MHDD is it doesn't always find drives. It's not a brand new program and it hasn't been developed in a long time (years) so it doesn't always work with some modern combinations of hardware.

If it doesn't detect your drive, then:
- For IDE/PATA drives, make sure the drive is set as MASTER and is the only drive on the cable.
- For SATA drives, try a different SATA connection on the mainboard.

If its vista, then its a common fault, although MS lay the blame clearly at the feet of the user. Fault is that the default profile is changed or deleted and the registry still tries to load it, but can not find it.

1st thing to try is to system restore back to a date when you know it did work, failing that you will need to log in as administrator and manually remove the old profile and create a new one, of course this assumes it is vista as you didnt specify

must just add that if you are unable to get in and save your personal stuff its not the end of the world as the drive can be connected to another pc/laptop and then try and get your personal stuff off that way

too many people think that once the hd starts to fail that all is lost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom