Windows Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
Everything was fne yesterday and now it's not!

The only thing to change is that bl00dy Windows did an update on my desktop lasty might, and restarted it. Now, none of my other network devices can see the desktop!

I've restarted everything, turned off file sharing and then turned it back on again, but my laptop won't find anything (except itself) in "Workgroup" and my PS3 can't find any media servers!

Why not?
How do I fix it?

TIA

PJ

But if the update ar$ed about with my network settings, then a restore won't fix that, will it?

i don't really know what I am doing here, but do you know what the updates were, it could be that a driver needs reverting to a previous version

microsoft are a pain in the **** as every time over the last year they have killed my computer you can go in to windows update on the net and find your history so you know what to look for to remove it

Have a look on the network settings to see if the update has enabled the Microsoft Firewall - had this problem a while back with a server

Thanks all.

The firewall is still off, so it's not that.

I'm going to play with the DHCP thing.

Watch out for a flash and a cloud of smoke over the West Midlands.... :eek:

stick a screwdriver into the floppy drive and wiggle it about..it works for me every time, and the fireworks are nice:rock: :devil:

sounds like the merc-c post could be a better option though:eek:

There's a variant of the Zlob/DNSChanger virus that emerged earlier in the week that does similar sounding things by not only changing the infected PC's DNS address but by also broadcasting as a DNS server and causing all other machines on the subnet to change their DNS entry too. It can also change your Routers DNS entry.

Just thinking that it might be worth your while double checking your DNS entries on all your machines.

Video about it on Youtube.

Alternatively, Can you ping these machines by IP address or FQDN? If so, it means you can see them but not browse to them....
in which case, which machine in your network is Browse Master?

Last edited:
Try a restore to previous version.

I would recommend you change the AutoUpdate settings to 'download update and let me choose when to install'

Microsoft released a new critical WORM patch last night/today so that is what it must be.

Going through the various options within the DHCP Bug link seems to have worked.

Probably the release & renew, although everything is exactly the same as it was before I did that, it seems to be working (for the moment)

Thanks all !

PJ

Glad you're sorted. I didn't want to post about Apple while you were having trouble, but now I can. My Apple running Mac does what it says on the tin. It's absolutely bomb proof after my old Dell. I've Had the Apple for 2 years and no crashes. I thrash it to death, put it to sleep, shut it down every day and it starts up like a new machine each time. I did run Windows on a dual programme basis for a time but I've dished all that stuff now and I just use Mac based programmes. Also the chances of a virus are minimal.

Im crap at IT.. but i posted on here that a Vista laptop could not see my network printer where other PC's could. Never could get to the bottom of it until I had to restore the laptop... ever since i wiped everythign clean, its working perfectly!

A myth - sorry

See the latest virus thats doing the rounds...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/05/new_dnschanger_hijacks/
Thanks, I did say minimal not zero, and I do run Norton/Symantec anyway. The attachment was very useful, though 1 statistic therein is 30 Mac virus's (virii) for 330,000 Windows.
But as said thanks for the heads up, it seems that serious criminals are also looking at Macs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom