Windows Vista ? BRILLIANT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennesspipers

MB Enthusiast
Car
'95 W202 C220 Elegance saloon & 2001 C240 V6 Sport Estate
My Dell laptop managed to pick up a TROJAN today, PANIC PANIC, but Windows Restore sorted it,Does just what it says ,restores the system by going back in time, like the Tardis ! :bannana:

Hmmmmmm..........

71619.jpg

No it isnt.... you still have the virus on your PC in the saved restore point.

Deleting all restore points would be the bravest and best option at this point.

Or disable system restore, and rerun the AV program, then re-enable system restore.

HELP ! Just tried to PM Spike about this, system says i cant,someone please tell me how to delete restore point as Spike said.

Thanx for trying Ted, but im afraid i dont know how to, complete lemon on computers.

This should help.

Dont forget to re-enable it after the new scan!

Working with Windows 7 Ulimate on the lap top and so far impressed. Still keeping XP Proff on the home machine though until absolutely sure!
Took Vista off the last new machine for the kids as it was one issue after another :thumb:

Try downloading AVG (Free version) antivirus. It'll remove your current quarantined virus and keep you 80% safe. If you'd like better security you need a Mac.

Try downloading AVG (Free version) antivirus. It'll remove your current quarantined virus and keep you 80% safe. If you'd like better security you need a Mac.

This is not good advice. You have not considered what AV software is currently installed. Multiple AV clients will almost definately conflict and cause significant problems.

Done what AllenWhite said , & run it.It didnt say it had found a trojan so im now wondering whether it was one in the first place ! Thanx for your thread & link Ted, iv stuck that into my 'favorites' for now at least. Really not sure whether to do that now or wait to see if any more signs of trouble come back,laptop seems fine now. What do you think ? Original problem was a full page Warning from Total Security saying my computer was in danger,& when you click on it, it just kept on wanting to charge me $49.95,Ad was in bad english with spelling mistakes,& took up the FULL screen.

Already got AVG on it, & AVG been run & didnt find a problem.

Well you didnt actually have a virus unless you installed the total security cleaning utility which would have been a virus in itself.

The popup was just a scam web page. Some dodgy sites you been visiting.

Last edited:
Thats the problem with viruses, antivirus and PeeCees the virus has to come out and do some damage before AV is update to protect from it. I take it your virus defs on AVG are all upto date?

This is not good advice. You have not considered what AV software is currently installed. Multiple AV clients will almost definately conflict and cause significant problems.

True, but I didn't see that he'd has any installed. Must have missed it.

Not sure what i clicked on that page, tried everything to get rid of it,it just wouldnt let me use computer at all. Yes, my AVG is up to date, its set to update on auto, & i have checked, it said 'no new updates available'

Thats because you have picked up some malware - not a virus.
Anti-virus software on its own is almost worthless in todays world.
You also need anti-malware software.
As allenwhite78 says, download MALWAREBYTES anti malware program. Its free and it works better than most programs you have to pay for.
Trouble is, some recent malware recognises what you are trying to do and stops you downloading it.
Give it a try.
And stay away from iffy websites.................. ! ! ! ! ! !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom