Windows XP installation repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Hi,

When you boot a PC from a Windows XP installation disc and select installation repair, select a partition will it wipe any information that is already on the HD - for example photos etc?

Yes, it will format your hard drive completely, well at least it did when I tried it once. I was not a happy bunny! :mad:

A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

Thanks for the replies - one says YES, one says NO

:) :(

A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

Not those that patch or replace system files - eg antivirus etc - they will need re-install. Also any that do a dependent install (i.e. choose files based on the service pack or fix level) might also go "pop" when you first boot after the repair.

Best (for future!) to image your main drive regularly so you can go back to a known working system - use something like Acronis. And then supplement this with more regular "documents" etc backups.

Not those that patch or replace system files - eg antivirus etc - they will need re-install. Also any that do a dependent install (i.e. choose files based on the service pack or fix level) might also go "pop" when you first boot after the repair.

Best (for future!) to image your main drive regularly so you can go back to a known working system - use something like Acronis. And then supplement this with more regular "documents" etc backups.

Cheers for the replies, its not my system & the people have their wedding photos on it (some of them arent backed up!) :wallbash::wallbash:

In which case, I would take the drive out and mount it on a working system. Then copy the data/pictures off. Then do the repair install....

Search for, create and use, Hiren's Boot CD......boots a mini winXP (off CD or USB), that supports flash usb drives......also has many many hady tools on it.

If you use Hirens (very good) make sure you anti virus scan the downloaded iso. I have seen a lot of infected copies of Hirens.
You could also create a bootable USB linux stick just to extect the files before attempting any rescue if you are not too afraid :)

My first choice would be to go to Maplins and get a USB HDD enclosure and mount the drive in that - then you can recover all the files to a completely different machine.

I work just down the M11 in Harlow (if it's local) if you get really stuck

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom