Windscreen Chip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gilberto

Does a chip have to be certain size before it can be repaired?
I have a small chip straight in front of my line ovision and it's really annoyingly!,

If it’s in your line of sight it has to be under 10mm in diameter for them to repair. If it’s bigger you need a new windscreen. Book an appointment through your insurance and they’ll advise you.

Depends on the size. Bigger than 10mm will need screen replacing. Most insurance companies won't charge an excess for repair claims on chipped screens.

If its annoying you best bet is turn it into a crack and pay the excess for a new screen . £75 ish...

If its annoying you best bet is turn it into a crack and pay the excess for a new screen . £75 ish...
In the current weather conditions (wet + freezing overnight) it will become a crack pretty quickly all on its own if left unrepaired.

If it’s in your line of sight it has to be under 10mm in diameter for them to repair. If it’s bigger you need a new windscreen. Book an appointment through your insurance and they’ll advise you.

Stick some clear tape over it to stop any water getting into it prior to a repair, it will also keep the crack clear of any dirt as well.

Beware if you are insured with LV, windscreen replacement excess is £140.

Some small chips are not repairable - I got Autoglass out to tidy up the windscreen on my E class just before I sold it - I had three small stone chips, but only one was big/deep enough to be repaired. At least one of the non repairable ones had starred a little. From what the guy told me there has to be enough depth and/or starring to be able to take the resin properly.

I picked up a hire car in Belgium on one job I was on, driving from the airport I heard a stone hit the windshield, I could see a tiny chip on the screen the next day.

It snowed a few times during the two weeks I drove the car to work and back, by the time I took it back to the airport the tiny chip had become a pillar to pillar crack right across the screen

It cost me over 500 Euro at the drop off. Thankfully I was 100% re reimbursed by insurance4carhire.co.uk (other insurers are available :)) the moral of the story is get it repaired ASAP. Especially in cold weather / hot interior during winter.

Thanks all,may not be deep enough then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom