Windscreen Chip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
Whilst I was on holiday in France I got a small chip in my Windscreen. Fortunately it is on the passenger side low down, but a bu**er all the same.:crazy:

Has anyone any experience of the repairs you can have?

Will post picture, if I can show it, But I am away this weekend so it will be next week before I can.

The excess for a new screen is £50.:crazy:

how big is small ? If its smaller than a pound coin, most windscreen places will attempt a repair rather than a new screen. I think the results are fairly good.

Having said that ... the last "small" chip that I had was left for a bit too long before repair and decided to develop overnight into a crack the length of the screen ..... hello new screen, goodbye £50 excess! :(

No experience od chip repairs , but replaced two screens on my previous SL as the chips were in front of the drivers line of sight.

plus you get a shiney new screen with no wiper marks or other scratches.

for £50 on a brand new motor ... I'd pay it & get a new screen

just my opinion of course.

I got a repair done recently on a 'bullseye' the size of a 5p piece. Sure they filled the hole, but the crack is still visible and very annoying! £45 out of pocket and the repair is crap!

I had a friend who had a stonechip on his windscreen as well... called the customer service agent at the dealership (Loughborough) who gave him a number of a guy who does it freelance for Mercedes customers. Costs about 35 pounds, but his insurance company rebated the cost, because they rather repair the chip rather than replacing the whole windscreen in the future.

The guy does very good work. I can't even spot the chip anymore! If you want his number, PM me.

Brian,

i had a chip repaired through autoglass on my insurance(free and shouldnt effect policy!) they literally fill it, but you can still see it!

get it sorted tho else it will expand and crack!

Thanks guys, confirmed my feelings really. The crack is only the size of a new penny. As I suspected if you can still see the crack a repair doesn't gain you much in the long run.

I'll probably end up getting a new screen, particularily if it starts to spread. :mad:

The small cracks are best to get filled, it will stop it spreading completely - If its filled within a few days of it happening, then the crack is almost invisible when filled....

Where are you in the east midlands? I know a guy in tamworth. it costs 35 quid if you say i recommended you, and if fully comp, you will get this back from insurance regardless of your excess....

Let me know if you need more details.

Jay

Thanks Jay

However I have decided to see how it goes, mainly because of it's location and the fact that it is right through the screen, showing on the inside as well as the outside and I therefore think that it will still show when repaired.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom