Windscreen damaged by wiper fluid????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richduc

Car
E280 CDI
Hi all

Recently joined and introduced myself after buying a E280CDI, 58 plate 100k on the clock.
Generally pleased and got lots of useful info from this forum when I wasnt sure if I had a problem or not!
Anyhooz - cleaning it today and noticed streaks on the windscreen which will not come off with cleaner or polish. I have decided that the previous fluid has removed a layer off the glass making cleaning pointless. Is this possible? I had already drained the fluid reservoir as I had noticed discolouration of the seal and put it down to the fluid also. These seem to have come up ok after cleaning but its like a film of limescale residue.
Any ideas/pointers/advice appreciated!
Thanks, peeps
Rich

Fill the washer bottle with hot water and flush it all out through the windscreen spray with the bonnet closed.

Then clean the windscreen glass a few times with Cif, the kitchen cleaner, its corrosive to bear metal so rinse it off well, and let us know the outcome.

Dec

I doubt it's removed a layer of glass, but it's quite possible that it's etched the surface of the glass.

I've never tried Cif, but if it works that's a great tip!

I recon something has taken a layer of whatever the glass is finished with. I will try Cif (or Jif to old gets like me) in, as they say, an inconspicuous area and let you know.
thanks
Rich

Unless the screen been coated with something like Rain-X?

right, rain-x - how could I tell? Can it be removed? Its a right pain, you cant really see the streaks too much from the inside but water tracks down a big streak right in the line of vision! You can really see it from the outside, there are lots of seperate streaks across the windscreen. Is it not possible that a factory coating has been corroded or debonded from the substrate?

No factory coatings applied to the glass but could be a multitude of after-market offerings, Gtechniq for example..

oh ok, then I might be in with a chance of getting it back to something approaching acceptable? I will try Cif and take it from there. Thank you all for your advice. I will let you know the outcome. Other than this minor issue I am very happy with the car!

Was the car recently waxed, sometimes streak from the roof, after rain, run down the glass after the car has been waxed.

Dec

dont think so - as far as I know its come from an auction passed through the dealer to me - no evidence of a recent wax or polish! Although saying that the inside is in excellent condition - like new really - so the previous owner(s) certainly looked after the car, I think, so maybe its occured a while back...

update - clayed glass, elbow grease and auto glym glass polish and result - all gone. Dont know why it worked second time round, but very happy thanks all

Found this vid useful for windscreen cleaning tips with a blade:eek:, starts @5min...

[YOUTUBE]-IjoKjwQEDI[/YOUTUBE]

update - clayed glass, elbow grease and auto glym glass polish and result - all gone. Dont know why it worked second time round, but very happy thanks all

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom