Windscreen demister

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Hi All,
The windscreen dimister is more effective on passenger side of my W202.
When I press the button on the climate control panel, the fan goes up to full speed and the temp dispaly goes to "Hi" (as expected) but you can see the passenger side of the screen clear much quicker than the driver's side.

Obviously not as much air coming out of the driver's side vent but where do I start to look to resolve this? Is there a diverting flap somewhere that might not be opening fully?

Thanks for any input?
shr.

Is the dust filter ok?

Not sure. Didn't know where to begin with this so that will be my first area to check.

Dust filter is in the passenger footwell right? (I'm at work so can't look at WIS just yet!!)

Not sure. Didn't know where to begin with this so that will be my first area to check.

Dust filter is in the passenger footwell right? (I'm at work so can't look at WIS just yet!!)

Yep....look under the passenger footwell.....its a dead easy job. Slide the clip on the big black box and it pulls out. I think there is a link on the forum somewhere re the procedure.

Its exactly the same on the w210 aswell

Yep....look under the passenger footwell.....its a dead easy job. Slide the clip on the big black box and it pulls out. I think there is a link on the forum somewhere re the procedure.

Its exactly the same on the w210 aswell

Yep, think I've seen that link before.

But if the filter is blocked up, would that not effect both sides of the screen evenly?

The Mondeo has the heated windscreen, which is an absolute boon on these chilly mornings - why don't most other manufacturers fit these? There must be a reason??

The Mondeo has the heated windscreen, which is an absolute boon on these chilly mornings - why don't most other manufacturers fit these? There must be a reason??

I think Ford do it on most of their cars now don't they? Can't believe benz don't do it. It's not even an option on the top of the range mercs, is it?

Must be some reason why it's not more popular.

Its exactly the same on the w210 aswell[/quote]

Apart from W210 with Digital Climate control then they are behind the glove box.

I think Ford do it on most of their cars now don't they? Can't believe benz don't do it. It's not even an option on the top of the range mercs, is it?

Must be some reason why it's not more popular.

Useful but I like my windscreen to be totaly clear I have drove a few Mondeos with the heated front screen and I cant get used to them

ICan't believe benz don't do it. It's not even an option on the top of the range mercs, is it?

I have had heated front screen/front screen defroster functions on at least my last two Mercs:

This is what it looks like on my current s-class (pic not from my actual car though):

frontscr.jpg

The W220 comes as standard with all bells and whistles full climate control, so this is standard, not an option. Was standard on my W140 too.

With this standard climate control, I have never, ever, had misted up windows anyway :confused:.

But doesn't that just put the fan into high speed cyclone mode onto the screen?

The heated windscreen is literally heated by elements (like the rear window) - fitted to a lot of Fords, Range Rover etc. It is exceptionally quick for removing ice off the windscreen and the mist up when you first get in the car, far faster than the blower can, even on dedicated "high output" to the screen, which it still has, despite the heating elements.

Does the W220 have heating elements within the screen?

Does the W220 have heating elements within the screen?

Not as far as I know, it's basically using heated air as you say.

On the few occasions that I have had windows misted up when I start the car first thing in the morning, it has never taken more than literally a few seconds for that to clear though, which is why I was a bit confused by all of this.

I have had heated front screen/front screen defroster functions on at least my last two Mercs:

The W220 comes as standard with all bells and whistles full climate control, so this is standard, not an option. Was standard on my W140 too.

With this standard climate control, I have never, ever, had misted up windows anyway :confused:.

Yep got that button on both my cars.
But in terms of having an actual heating element in the front screen, why is it only Ford that do it?

My W203 had the windscreen button, and forced high speed air to the screen (the Mondeo has this too) but it's not as effective as the elements - but I haven't seen an S-class in action, its fans may be man enough on their own?

I really do wonder why only Ford (and Ford group) have this feature, there must be an issue with it for other manufacturers??

My W203 had the windscreen button, and forced high speed air to the screen (the Mondeo has this too) but it's not as effective as the elements - but I haven't seen an S-class in action, its fans may be man enough on their own?

Suppose most S Class owners have got big fat garages to put their cars in so don't have problems with icy windows in the morning. (And if they did, Jeeves would probably just defrost them for them anyway!!! :D )

My S sits under the carport so kinda get's protected from the elements. Will back it up on to the driveway tonight so it exposed. Will see what how effective the blowers are in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom