Windscreen excess - hidden increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
How much is your windscreen replacement excess? Mine has always been £75 for as long as I can remember up until around 3 years ago when I made a claim. My current insurance (Admiral) is due for renewal at the end of the month and I'm waiting for my renewal quote. On checking last year's documents, I noticed that mu excess was/is £115! The year before it was £95 so it seems to be increasing by about £20 a year which is a big increase.

Is this consistent with all insurers or is it just Admiral?

Noticed similar on my LV renewal quote - not only has the windscreen excess gone up from £75 to £95, they have also introduced a £20 excess on windscreen repairs, where there used to be no excess.

Just checked my Aviva policy, the excess for glass replacement is £115, and for glass repair it is £10.

0n another note, there's no limit on cost if using their approved glass fitters (and by implication, after-market glass?), but there's a £185 limit per claim if using your own fitter (e.g. an MB dealer).

So it is not clear from the wording what happens if you agree to use their approved fitter, but insist on genuine MB glass....?

I am with Aviva. Excess: £10 for repair £75 for replacement screen. I had a new screen in January fitted and calibrated by Autoglass. Requested MB original glass, no problems was ordered and fitted with no problems. When I took the car in the fitter showed me the windscreen in its original sealed MB packaging he opened it and had me compare it with the broken screen before he set to work. The fitter pointed out that the new screen had a different coloured embedded wiring for the keyless go. Glass fitted and cameras recalibrated ready to drive 2.5 hours later. Perfect fit and no problems.

0n another note, there's no limit on cost if using their approved glass fitters (and by implication, after-market glass?), but there's a £185 limit per claim if using your own fitter (e.g. an MB dealer).

So it is not clear from the wording what happens if you agree to use their approved fitter, but insist on genuine MB glass....?
I believe it won’t be approved unless the vehicle is under a certain age, I seem to remember reading someone on here a while ago.

I presume its more vehicle related than a generalised excess with windscreen replacement.
I'm with LV.
For a repair its a £20 excess, but its a £190 excess for a replacement screen

I presume its more vehicle related than a generalised excess with windscreen replacement.
I'm with LV.
For a repair its a £20 excess, but its a £190 excess for a replacement screen

This was what I thought but not sure if it's the case. The excess is the same for both cars, my Audi and a 16 year old Seat Leon. I called yesterday to sort out my renewal and managed to get my premium down from last year. Initially they offered me £2 off compared to last year across both cars :D Then I managed £50 after a few minutes of haggling. Not happy, I told them they have to do better and eventually managed to get it down £142 from last year's premium with the same cover and mileage.

The windscreen excess is still £115 and the lady mentioned about car screens becoming more expensive which I agree with but that shouldn't effect me. My only guess is that everyone probably pays the same.

Just renewed mine with Aviva plus, again, windscreen repair is £10 excess, replacement is £75.

Had a chip repaired last week with autoglass foc currently insured with axa,via Mercedes brokers, premium is £370 I did increase the voluntary exess to £500.

SAGA is £75 to replace the screen including ADAS calibration. Chip repair is foc

This was what I thought but not sure if it's the case. The excess is the same for both cars, my Audi and a 16 year old Seat Leon. I called yesterday to sort out my renewal and managed to get my premium down from last year. Initially they offered me £2 off compared to last year across both cars :D Then I managed £50 after a few minutes of haggling. Not happy, I told them they have to do better and eventually managed to get it down £142 from last year's premium with the same cover and mileage.

The windscreen excess is still £115 and the lady mentioned about car screens becoming more expensive which I agree with but that shouldn't effect me. My only guess is that everyone probably pays the same.
Well, I've decided today to leave LV and go elsewhere. They've put their prices up on me(nothing has changed), £120 more than last year, and pretty much zero room for any movement on it.
Have now taken out a policy with Churchill, they're coming in at £250 less than the LV renewal price.

Anyway, their windscreen excess for the E63 is £75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom