Windscreen fitters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
After 4 screens damaged on arrival, one incorrect screen and one no-show, my insurers have finally capitulated and are stumping up for someone of my choosing to do the job properly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for independent fitters? Given that in most cases it will have been the insurers' designated agent I know this may be a little thin on the ground.

I have an independent fitter I use, he's based in High Wycombe, Bucks, but is mobile. Drop me a PM if you need his details.

Old School Windscreens near Chertsey in Surrey. Might be a bit too far for you but they know their stuff. Very good with older and classic cars.

+1 for Old School Windscreens. Never heard a bad report on them.

Chertsey is only an hour away, so perfectly acceptable. It's for the SL so expertise in the weird and wonderful would be useful.

Chertsey is only an hour away, so perfectly acceptable. It's for the SL so expertise in the weird and wonderful would be useful.

They did excellent work on the 124 for us. Also the cafe on site does a great breakfast while you wait.

Am I correct in saying that it's part of the same family business?

After 4 screens damaged on arrival, one incorrect screen and one no-show, my insurers have finally capitulated and are stumping up for someone of my choosing to do the job properly.

Autoglass by any chance?

+1 for Old School Windscreens. Never heard a bad report on them.

Have used them for years. They replaced front and rear screens on my 560SEC + work on my CL. Highly recommended.

As I need 2 quotes for the insurers, I popped into the local dealer this morning to get something on paper.

Guesses as to the final figure at the bottom of the page? I'll give you a head start by mentioning that it included new top seals and mouldings as the chances of them coming off and back on after 21 years is non-existent.

£1200?

R129 had to be one of the most tricky screens to replace if the fitter has never done one.
It's nothing like doing a standard screen. If they don't know which bits of trim to remove, it's easy to make a mess of it! I printed out the wis instructions when auto glass did mine and even then I had to help him do it.

As I recall you have to remove the wiper mechanism, and have most of the trims and mouldings in the vicinity off.

I think the rear screen on my CL was around £1300+VAT.. Just for the glass!

Final score came out at a little over £1500 fitted. Over half of that is labour, and that was discounted by 20%

Old School have a good reputation in the trade round here. Says it all I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom