Windscreen Q's & A's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FITTER

Car
mitsubishi evo 8 mr 340
Hello.

I'm a qualified windscreen tech and have worked for the two biggest firms out there, and have experience that only sounds like boasting, so i won't bother mentioning..
I'm want to help out with ANYONES worries, troubles, faults, issues or whatever else you may need answering feel free to ask away...

FITTER, many thanks! It is very kind.

May I be the first to ask...
smile.gif

My windscreen has a few very tiny chips, they look like a speck of dust, but you know it is a chip because the tip of your fingernail 'sinks' into it.

Recently I was hit by a stone on the motorway and acquired a new chip, the 'bullseye' type, the area you can feel with your fingertip on the surface is probably well under 1mm in diameter, with a visible horizontal 'crack' underneath (between the layers) that measures around 2mm. It is rather small overall and does not go all the way through to the inner side though.

OK, I don't expect you to repair my windscreen online... :D

But perhaps you could post some pictures of small stone chips that should be attended to, and also examples of those which can be left alone... I would hazard a guess that there other members here who may be wondering if they should call Autoglass.

Well my over-riding concern would be knowing whether the windscreen replacement job's being done correctly or not, with particular reference to making sure the new screen's been seated and sealed properly (no leaks). Also, of course, the body aperture / flange needs to be properly prepared and anything removed like wipers / cowling / rubber trim etc needs to be put back properly. I don't need a new windscreen at present on any of my cars and I dread the day I do. Can you recommend someone in the West Midlands who will do a spot on job should the need arise ?

Hi there, it's no troubles.

There's rules with sizes and positions of chips - BS AU242a 1998

Your chip sounds fine, there's always a possibility of the chip, either spreading or cracking during the repair process, but if it's not repaired at all, then it might crack anyway! so your at no loss!

All chips are different, and repair different, and will never totally disappear! Even Derren Brown couldn't reapir broken glass to it's normal eye perfect clarity! the repair is to keep it from spreading!

Small 'pitting' across the glass is common, especially after a few years of motorway driving, it happens. small pits are no threat and have no cure, except to replace the glass (i advise this, if the pitting/scratches affect your vision at night)

I will post some pics of some chips over the weeks, try to give evryone a better understanding, i could go on for ages but instead if you want to ask the questions i will answer and help to my best.

Well my over-riding concern would be knowing whether the windscreen replacement job's being done correctly or not,

Use autoglass - worldwide windscreen fitters, using some of the most exspensive products on the market, fully trained and our moto is 'We fit saftey as standard' need i say much more, AG's are far from cowboys!

Some of the independant companies are good, but with the big ones we're not tight on the primers, glue, or any other products or new parts (trims, clips) we need or use :)

Thanks Fitter & Welcome to the forum by the way. I've heard mixed reports about Autoglass. Some say very good, some others report horror stories. As has been said before, I guess it all depends upon the individual operative doing the job.

Thanks Fitter & Welcome

Thank you.

Yes sure, it really does. Whatever job, wahtever company, there's always 1 that just can't help themselves???

Sometimes things do go wrong

Example:
3 days ago "60 plate" range rover sport, i broke the wiper removing it! i've done about 75+ of this particular vehicle, but this one I hardly touched this wiper, it just snapped...... i called the office, ordered a new one from range rovers, and fitted it that night, customer fine about it, not my fault by any means! :bannana:

well no fella it's not is it! It's honesty!

I'm telling you an example of an unexpected event that happened and got resolved by using a decent company with no hassle when things may need to be rectified!!

Last edited:
a good question I guess is ....where you based ?

a good question I guess is ....where you based ?

By the sound of it, FITTER actually works for Autoglass... and speaks highly of his employers.

Well i'm from essex,

Autoglass are national, and offer a free mobile service (still pay your XS)

X was a very busy person. X noticed a chip on the windscreen but was too busy to get it repaired. One morning X was driving to work and suddenly the windscreen cracked. Autoglass changed it but it cost X the expensive insurance excess....NO...NOO..NOT TRUE..

I had a tiny chip on my windscreen. I called Autoglass the next day. Autoglass came to my house and injected resin into the glass which was very warm from being left under the sun. The chip was transformed into a crack in a moment and I had to pay my insurance excess. Yes, that was the truth.

malluboy77, I'm sorry to hear that your the victim of the cracking off situation, it cannot be helped, and isn't deliberate!

NOW:-

1. The tech would have pre-warned you this be the case. It is drummed into all tech's using different systems for different companies.

2. You signed the T's and C's for the work to be carried out, saying you accept this factor..... it's on your receipt

3. We're working with glass, are you that stupid not to realise this may be the case?

4. C180's a girls car....

FITTER, you may be on the wrong forum... we don't usually call each other stupid on this one. Not a joke.

Last edited:
malluboy77, I'm sorry to hear that your the victim of the cracking off situation, it cannot be helped, and isn't deliberate!

NOW:-

1. The tech would have pre-warned you this be the case. It is drummed into all tech's using different systems for different companies.

2. You signed the T's and C's for the work to be carried out, saying you accept this factor..... it's on your receipt

3. We're working with glass, are you that stupid not to realise this may be the case?

4. C180's a girls car....

I am sure your input is and will be appreciated but do you need to call people stupid and insult the car they drive?:dk:

Dear Fitter

Let me just clarify that the resin was injected right into a very warm glass form the car being left directly under the sun in the peak UK summer weather. So we are not only speaking of a much higher glass temperature but also a gradient across it when it is stretched. If I am to be fully honest, I never expected the tech to inject until at least the temperatures came down at least by rolling the windows down.

Also wiper blades do not spontaneously fracture either.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom