Windscreen Q's & A's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Let me just clarify that the resin was injected right into a very warm glass form the car being left directly under the sun in the peak UK summer weather. So we are not only speaking of a much higher glass temperature

Much higher temps for glass..?? It melts at 1600c, so a little summer heat shouldn't be an issue.

The cracking is normally hydraulic cracking of the fracture as the liquid glue is injected and can happen anytime.

I'm not a techie..but my common sense said so. Thanks!

my best mate for most of my adult life (and godfather to my sprog) was uk windscreen fitter of the year 2010 (UK Master Fitter Competition 2010)

my daughters other godfather ken is also a fitter and i named my cat after him as they are both ginger

he used to take the windscreen out of my audi coupe in about 30 seconds to annoy me

changing the entire window mech system on a w124 coupe is booked at about 2 ish hours, he got it down to 40 mins once (he did 3 in a week for me)

ive always been amazed at how quick you lot can do it and the money you can earn (£40k a year no problem)

Last edited:
malluboy77, I'm sorry to hear that your the victim of the cracking off situation, it cannot be helped, and isn't deliberate!

NOW:-

1. The tech would have pre-warned you this be the case. It is drummed into all tech's using different systems for different companies.

2. You signed the T's and C's for the work to be carried out, saying you accept this factor..... it's on your receipt

3. We're working with glass, are you that stupid not to realise this may be the case?

4. C180's a girls car....

Well, .....

[YOUTUBE]nDwQJ64UpFQ[/YOUTUBE]

I have a question, last time I needed a replacement windscreen I insisted on a genuine MB replacement (comes with hologram) but had to pay extra for this as insurer would only pay for their standard replacement. What's your (or others) take on this?

my mates company get all theirs from 1 place in peterborough & another in bedford area and driving a merc even i dont get merc glass as its (i think from memory) about 4 times the price

insurance companies do screw you out of money as in the old days you would just bill the insurance company but now they have such tight limits on how much they will pay the companies for glass that its almost impossible to get genuine glass

I dont think I am answering your question. I did think your way when I needed a new screen, but finally decided to go for the screen Autoglass would give me by default .

The new screen was made in SA ..think made by Shatterprufe (Need to check to confirm)..If that is the case it should really be no different from what Mercedes would offer..

I dont think I am answering your question. I did think your way when I needed a new screen, but finally decided to go for the screen Autoglass would give me by default .

The new screen was made in SA ..think made by Shatterprufe (Need to check to confirm)..If that is the case it should really be no different from what Mercedes would offer..

Shatterprufe in SA make screens for MB. My car has Armourplate glass all around, which is a brand name of Shatterprufe.

You could obviously argue that the glass manufacturers make the MB-branded glass to MB's (allegedly higher) spec, so the one you would buy as non-MB-branded replacement will be inferior, or just not the right spec (this discussion has been going on for some time now regarding 'MO' tyres - are they just the same as non-MO tyres, or do tyre manufacturers 'tweak' MO tyres to MB's spec?). I think that on balance this is highly unlikely to be the case, i.e. the glass is the same and Shatterprufe is Shatterprufe with or without the MB logo, but I doubt if there will ever be absolute proof either way...

I have a question, last time I needed a replacement windscreen I insisted on a genuine MB replacement (comes with hologram) but had to pay extra for this as insurer would only pay for their standard replacement. What's your (or others) take on this?

Insurance companies just simply will not pay the main dealer prices, glass is glass at the end of the day - but yes there are some terrible makers out there, (UKG!!! - Be very aware of this toilet!)

Basically, pilkington IS OEM! They make merc's glass for them, and mercs whack a badge on..... same as fords.

Cleaning the glass

After I clean my car, when the wipers are used, there is smearing which takes 2-3 seconds to clear after each blade wipe, over time, days/weeks, it dissipates but never fully clears, same on the old windscreen before having a new one fitted last year.
I have tried good and cheap blades (Bosck on now).
Blade also cleaned at each attempt to clean the screen.
Different formulations of screen wash, just on washing up liquid now that seems the best :crazy:.
Chemicals I've tried to clean the screen with-

Isopropol alcohol
washing up liquid
Siff (giff)
Vinegar (both types)
a potato
AG Fast Glass
AG Glass Polish
Sika CleanGlass concentrate

All used with paper towels.

One thing I haven't tried is a car shampoo without wax added but I would have thought the glass cleaning solution should have removed the 'wax'?

Technically speaking, MB and Ford don't whack a badge, rather the glass manufacturer prints the car maker's logo and P/N on the glass for them during the manufacturing process.

So the glass makers would have one batch of products coming off the production line and then etched (or whatever process they use) with the MB logo and P/N then shipped to MB's warehouse, while the next batch will only be stamped with the glass maker's own logo and sold as OEM through the glass maker's own distribution channel....

malluboy77, I'm sorry to hear that your the victim of the cracking off situation, it cannot be helped, and isn't deliberate!

NOW:-

1. The tech would have pre-warned you this be the case. It is drummed into all tech's using different systems for different companies.

2. You signed the T's and C's for the work to be carried out, saying you accept this factor..... it's on your receipt

3. We're working with glass, are you that stupid not to realise this may be the case?

4. C180's a girls car....

FITTER, you may be on the wrong forum... we don't usually call each other stupid on this one. Not a joke.

I am sure your input is and will be appreciated but do you need to call people stupid and insult the car they drive?:dk:

He wasn't, just explaining the process.

I have a replacement screen fitted by his arch rival company, all the failed to do was press a bit of trim in properly at the back of the car, something I did when I got in.

Also.... the one slight advantage of having the MB-stamped glass, is that come sell time a meticulous buyer might be weary if the glass on the car is non-original and all different makes... there's always the question - has the glass been simply replaced because it cracked/chipped/smashed, or does it hide a more sinister secret and the car has been involved in a serious crash?

Also.... the one slight advantage of having the MB-stamped glass, is that come sell time a meticulous buyer might be weary if the glass on the car is non-original and all different makes... there's always the question - has the glass been simply replaced because it cracked/chipped/smashed, or does it hide a more sinister secret and the car has been involved in a serious crash?

I insisted on MB glass for mine, the insurance co coughed as well. Its pilkington and a bit of honesty with your buyer to say I got a nasty chip and a new screen fitted would put there mind at rest.

There are other tell tale signs of a crash, usually misalligned panels, mismatching paint etc

I insisted on MB glass for mine, the insurance co coughed as well. Its pilkington and a bit of honesty with your buyer to say I got a nasty chip and a new screen fitted would put there mind at rest.

There are other tell tale signs of a crash, usually misalligned panels, mismatching paint etc

I did say slight advantage
wink.gif

I agree that in most cases this will not really be an issue.

I wonder what happened to FITTER, he hasn't logged on for over 12 months. Do you think he's still with Autoglass? He may have been able to answer many more queries and..........reassured everyone :dk:

Last edited:
After I clean my car, when the wipers are used, there is smearing which takes 2-3 seconds to clear after each blade wipe, over time, days/weeks, it dissipates but never fully clears, same on the old windscreen before having a new one fitted last year.
I have tried good and cheap blades (Bosck on now).
Blade also cleaned at each attempt to clean the screen.
Different formulations of screen wash, just on washing up liquid now that seems the best :crazy:.
Chemicals I've tried to clean the screen with-

Isopropol alcohol
washing up liquid
Siff (giff)
Vinegar (both types)
a potato
AG Fast Glass
AG Glass Polish
Sika CleanGlass concentrate

All used with paper towels.

One thing I haven't tried is a car shampoo without wax added but I would have thought the glass cleaning solution should have removed the 'wax'?

paper towels are no good for cleaning glass, the best bet are micro fibre cloths, but make sure that when they are washed, no conditioner is used or it will reduce their efficiency.

paper towels are no good for cleaning glass, the best bet are micro fibre cloths, but make sure that when they are washed, no conditioner is used or it will reduce their efficiency.

Certainly Turtle Wax recommend kitchen towels on their glass cleaner

Certainly Turtle Wax recommend kitchen towels on their glass cleaner

Better use Turtle wax then......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom