Windscreen Repair in Cambridgeshire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SCRL

Car
W213 E220d
Oh dear! Got a long crack in the windscreen of my car after a stone hit it yesterday. :( I'd like to get it repaired with care and using a Mercedes-branded screen!

Does anyone have any recommendations for good, careful fitters in the Cambridge area (I'm west of Cambridge)? Ideally mobile (come to me), able to source an original manufacturer screen, and willing to deal with my insurer (LV).

Thanks for any tips!

Why not use whoever LV recommend? I believe you can stipulate an MB screen if you want the MB logo but you may have to pay towards the cost.

Because they recommend Autoglass who were terrible last time I had this, and aren’t getting my business again! Plus the rain-sensing wipers never worked again with the pattern part they used - hence the desire for an original part that I can expect to work in all respects!

I'm not sure it can be done by a mobile guy, I'm assuming you have traffic sign warning a forward collision mitigation? The screen mounted cameras need to be re-calibrated after the screen is replaced, I'm not sure that can be done at Kerbside motors.

I really feel your pain, screen replacement in a modern car is something that gives me shivers, I have seen and had a fair few terrible screen replacements. The insurance repairers just don't seem to care.

Because they recommend Autoglass who were terrible last time I had this, and aren’t getting my business again! Plus the rain-sensing wipers never worked again with the pattern part they used - hence the desire for an original part that I can expect to work in all respects!
The only difference between an MB screen and a non MB screen is the MB logo, did you get the rain sensing wipers recalibrated after the new screen was fitted?

Mercedes Approved body shop is the only place to go for windscreen replacement. They will get a national company to do it but with genuine bits, but you can rest assured the body shop will remove the trim properly, and get the electronics calibrated properly when finished. You just can't do that work out of a workshop, the result will always be substandard.

In case it helps anyone else in the future, here's how the story ended.

An attempt to get a "Mercedes Approved Bodyshop" to do the work failed. They don't do that kind of work - they just send them out to a local bod. So I called the local dealer in Cambridge and asked who they used. A very nice small company called MSG then came to my house and replaced the windscreen with a Mercedes original new one. Works perfectly, no "recalibration" of any cameras or anything else. Great job by careful and caring people.

I had to pay the full invoice cost (£591), but was able to recover that amount MINUS my full excess of £295 from my insurers, LV. Had I let them "just fix it" using one of their "recommended partner", I would only have paid about £60, but ended up with a pattern screen.

Good to hear it went well for you.

I went through my insurance last year and they used Auto Windscreens who fitted a genuine screen without having to ask (maybe its a less common car being a convertible). Had the choice of mobile fitting or going to them. Went to them as previous experience with any fitter, small or large, you nearly always get a better job when they have everything they need in their own workshops. The fitters have always said this to me.

Calibration wise, they booked a suitable time for me with Mercedes and I took it to them. It was a week later and whilst i had not noticed anything, they did confirm that it was out and did need calibrating. All bills were settled directly by the insurer, I just paid the £75 excess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom