Windscreen repair / replacement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dad4geer

Car
W204 C180 AMG Sport
I am sure this must have been discussed before but I am after some specific information if someone can help / share their experience please.

I have W204 C180 Sport 2012 model and it been just a month I bought it. Though the car is clean inside out the thing I noticed is the windscreen which is not that great if you drive during day time or when sun is out. From inside you notice all those small chip/scratches (all over the screen) which I first thought is dirt or smear and cleaned it with Rain repeller and other Glass cleaners but obviously the chips are not going to go with a glass cleaner isn't it! Not sure if the previous owner use to drive it in a jungle or desert that he got so many small chips all over the windscreen. Anyways, I think it's now my problem.. couple of queries:

1) I am covered through my LV insurance for windscreen repair / replacement (excess £90) by Autoglass. I really want it to be replaced as I don't think they will be able to fix so many chips/scratches on the screen. What do you guys think? do you think they would push for a repair and not replacement? How can I make them go for replacement and not repair?

2) For replacement, I have gone through some threads and it appears that I must insist on a MB genuine windscreen as other 3rd party screens had issues. Would a OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent) screen be OK?

3) I think my car has rain sensors so how that will be done in new screen by Auto glass? Do I have to mention this when I book in appointment? Some people mentioned that it may need re-calibrated through STAR?

4) When I book in appointment what should I tell them about my windscreen? would W204 C180 2012 be enough for them to find out the genuine / correct windscreen for my car or the Reg will give them all the details they need?

5) What would you advise on repair/replacement? would I better be off with a rapair (even though I don't know how they are going to fix those tiny chips and scratches) instead of replacement?

Any other help or experience would be highly appreciated :p

Last edited:
First off, if you want a replacement Autoglass will have to get your insurer's authorisation. So if you can get Autoglass 'on-side' they should be able to word the request appropriately.

If you get a replacement screen Autoglass will ask the relevant questions re sensors but always be ready with your VIN.

I would always recommend you try and attend one of their depots/workshops, rather than have them come out to you.

OEM or pattern make little difference except in cost and that will be born by your insurer, they may well refuse to go OEM. IMHO there is no significant difference between pattern and OEM.

The rain/light sensor may well need re-calibrating only someone with Xentry/STAR can do this. In my case the dealer did this FOC

Pretty-much as above:
  1. If you want it replaced rather than repaired, tell Autoglass that and maybe suggest that there are too many chips/scratches for a repair?
  2. I don't think there's much difference; they're probably all made in the same St Gobain (or NSG) factory.
  3. Yes. Definitely mention that you've got rain sensors etc or they will get the wrong glass out, then you'll have to come back for the right one.
  4. My experience is that they should only need to know what car it's going in (and what features, like rain sensor, you've got). - They can probably get it from your reg number anyway, and if insurance is paying you can bet they've been told what car the glass is going in to.
  5. It's up to you. - They can make a bit of a mess replacing the glass; all the trim has to come off, then they need to cut it out and bond the new one in. If it cracks then the glass falls inside over your dashboard etc.
    However, these are professionals and it might be a matter of pride that they don't break the screen.

When my S204 was first done (in my ownership) by AA Windscreens, they asked all the questions about sensors etc and were very careful to get all the details they needed to ensure they provided the correct screen. When the fitter took the old screen out, he commented that the screen had been previously replaced - and whoever fitted it had not put the anti-squeal foam pads along the top of the dashboard for the screen to sit against! Luckily he had some on his van - but it's one to watch out for!!

Valuable information by all you guys.. Cheers :)

The car dealer from where I bought the car had a look at the screen today and he also agreed that there are quite a few of these tiny chips which are not that bad but annoying if you drive during day time (and sun is out). He recommended me 1stdirectwindscreens and said they may be able to speak to my insurer and get the whole thing replaced. I still have to contact them but wondering if anyone had dealt with them before? Thanks.

Of course , if a stone or similar was to hit it , they'd HAVE to replace it anyway .... don't drive too close behind lorries , or next to that golf course :devil:

:rolleyes:

5452_prev.jpg

If insurance doesn't want to pay, ask how much for cash. - In my experience Autoglass will give a figure that's about what they'd charge the insurance company, but a smaller firm will do it cheaper.

I have checked my screen and there is a Benz monogram on bottom right with quite a few serials and numbers but on the top it says PGW TINT 28 1 .. should I tell autoglass about this PGW thing? Is PGW suppier of genuine Merc windscreens?

PGW are one of many suppliers..

I asked about the cost of replacing my CLS screen, Autoglass quoted £900.....

...but if you phone a smaller operation it's probably a £200 job.

I found this when I wanted to get the screens replaced in both my cars. - Autoglass did the Hyundai on insurance, but their quote for the Nissan was stupid. So I rang around and found someone that could do it for £170 in the end.

When I needed a screen recently for my SL , Autoglass didn't have one and couldn't give a delivery date .

With my MOT due in two weeks my insurer agreed I could look elsewhere for quotes and they would consider .

My local dealership could obtain a screen from Germany in 3 days at a cost of £504 + VAT to supply only , but couldn't fit it before my MOT ( or I suspect didn't want to ) .

My local Indy could supply and fit the same screen for just over £1K + VAT , and a local classic car restoration firm I know of put me onto a small independent fitter who quoted £350 + VAT to supply and fit a pattern screen .

In each of these cases I was going to have to pay in full upfront and claim back from my insurance , so I went for the cheapest option since the existing screen in the car was aftermarket already .

The screen now fitted looks perfect and a top job done by the fitter .

Recentley had a new screen fit to my W211 E55K by Autoglass, no probs at all, first class install at my home, all sensors work, No calibration by Star needed, Screen was exact same spec but without MB logo, made by Pilkington who made the original in my car.
Feels like a brand new car looking out the windscreen now....

Local Autoglass manager told me they often get 'pattern' parts that are actually OEM but with the logos removed...

I was originally bothered about the screen not been a so called...MB part but after searching and talking to everyone I could, I was quite happy to have Autoglass do it and it worked out sound..!
Lee

When my S204 was first done (in my ownership) by AA Windscreens, they asked all the questions about sensors etc and were very careful to get all the details they needed to ensure they provided the correct screen. When the fitter took the old screen out, he commented that the screen had been previously replaced - and whoever fitted it had not put the anti-squeal foam pads along the top of the dashboard for the screen to sit against! Luckily he had some on his van - but it's one to watch out for!!

I think those foam pads also have a physical role.

My CLK windscreen developed a crack at the bottom, approx 5 cm in from the n/s A pillar, after driving over an unavoidable pothole on the A20. Called Autoglass (insurers windscreen replacer) and a new Pilkington was fitted at home.

When removing old screen, which was a replacement already, you could see the foam pads were just thin slivers. The bottom of the aperture is not totally flat as at each side there are folded sheet metal joints, which in this case were very close to the bottom edge of the screen and the pothole jarring had caused the n/s joint to impact the screen, thus causing the crack.

Fitter stated it was quite a common issue and made sure appropriate blocks were in place on refitting screen.

There were no problems with light and rain sensors, unit was simply unclipped and clipped back into the frame already mounted on the new screen.

Always makes me chuckle when I see what excess insurance companies charge because that will cover about 90% of the actual cost of the screen!

Because my policy doesn't cover windscreens, in the past couple of years I've replaced a few windscreens (all brand new and fitted at a legitimate windscreen company):

2010 Astravan £120 fitted
2004 Transit £150 fitted
2010 Range Rover Sport (with heated screen!) £220 fitted.
2007 Peugeot Partner £120 fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom