Windscreen replacement (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Riva811

Car
CL500 Blueefficiency
This is a very discussed topic but I would like to know people's experiences when replacing their windscreen.
I spoke to Autoglass who spoke to Admiral about my windscreen as I wanted OEM. They said they wont approve it unless the car is 3 years old or less. I said lets not do that as I have some concerns about the non-OEM glass i was wondering if people here could answer
My cars windshield is infrared reflecting (for the internal sensor), temperature isolating and has a bit of tinting. Will i get any of that with a non OEM windscreen or will i have to kill the sensor and ny windscreen will look crystal clear while the rest of the car will look tinted?
Any recomendations for expensing the lot myself?

I had a non OEM screen fitted, it was identical to the original minus any MB script on the glass. Let's face it, MB do not make their own windscreens.

Russ

The replacement may not be the same make as original but it should be the same spec with regard to tint and other features. I have had a few non original screens over the years and not had any problems

I had autoglass fit three non Merc marked screens last year as they couldn't get the auto Wipers and auto lights to work properly. I had to take it to Merc to get it in writing that it had to be a Merc screen with new genuine sensors to get it back in a proper working condition.

So that's what autoglass did and the tech wasn't best happy as he had to come out each time I rang to complain. Autoglass refunded the diag charge I paid to Merc, my windscreen excess and then £300 as goodwill due to all the issues they left me with. My car is over 3 years old too.

I had autoglass fit three non Merc marked screens last year as they couldn't get the auto Wipers and auto lights to work properly. I had to take it to Merc to get it in writing that it had to be a Merc screen with new genuine sensors to get it back in a proper working condition.

So that's what autoglass did and the tech wasn't best happy as he had to come out each time I rang to complain. Autoglass refunded the diag charge I paid to Merc, my windscreen excess and then £300 as goodwill due to all the issues they left me with. My car is over 3 years old too.
When I asked for OEM he said that they will reconnect all sensors but I said how about infrared reflective? He said he never heard of this in his career.
My concern is that I might lose all the functionality and be stuck with it with nothing I can do

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

They have to make sure the car and sensors are all working post the screen going in. Are you on Twitter? Tweet autoglass as my experience was that the social media team provided better customer service than the phone lot

They have to make sure the car and sensors are all working post the screen going in. Are you on Twitter? Tweet autoglass as my experience was that the social media team provided better customer service than the phone lot
Yeah the guy on the phone had a sort of we have you were we want to and there is nothing you can do attitude until I told him I am happy to pay £1000 to get OEM and have it fitted by someone else

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Why do you do this? Take it to Merc and get a price of a gen screen and see how much they charge to fit. They will get a 3rd party to fit it anyway. Then give your insurance the price. Mention that Autoglass can't guarantee that all my sensors will work. Funny thing is I asked autoglass for a full price of my screen if I didn't go through insurance and they told me £800 without fitting. The screen from Merc was £149 Inc vat for the part. Go figure!

Why do you do this? Take it to Merc and get a price of a gen screen and see how much they charge to fit. They will get a 3rd party to fit it anyway. Then give your insurance the price. Mention that Autoglass can't guarantee that all my sensors will work. Funny thing is I asked autoglass for a full price of my screen if I didn't go through insurance and they told me £800 without fitting. The screen from Merc was £149 Inc vat for the part. Go figure!
I have a service booked next Friday, will check with them how much will the glass cost. Funny you should say that, autoglass want to charge me £95 excess for the fitting of non-oem. Sounds to me that admiral pays for the fitting and you pay for the windshield.

Honestly autoglass are a bunch of con merchants. But we have no choice due to them being in bed with most insurance companies. On my lexus I needed a screen and I wouldn't let autoglass anywhere near the car. I took it to lexus and paid for the screen. They got an indie to fit it and it was spot on. My insurance company just sent me a cheque for what the excess was as I didn't want autoglass to supply and fit.

Honestly autoglass are a bunch of con merchants. But we have no choice due to them being in bed with most insurance companies. On my lexus I needed a screen and I wouldn't let autoglass anywhere near the car. I took it to lexus and paid for the screen. They got an indie to fit it and it was spot on. My insurance company just sent me a cheque for what the excess was as I didn't want autoglass to supply and fit.
Out of curiosity what did you pay if i may ask?

My lexus as it was a rather special screen was £500 all in. Screen was £400 and I have a good relationship with my local lexus dealer so they let me pay the fitter directly.

This is a very discussed topic but I would like to know people's experiences when replacing their windscreen.
I spoke to Autoglass who spoke to Admiral about my windscreen as I wanted OEM. They said they wont approve it unless the car is 3 years old or less. I said lets not do that as I have some concerns about the non-OEM glass i was wondering if people here could answer
My cars windshield is infrared reflecting (for the internal sensor), temperature isolating and has a bit of tinting. Will i get any of that with a non OEM windscreen or will i have to kill the sensor and ny windscreen will look crystal clear while the rest of the car will look tinted?
Any recomendations for expensing the lot myself?
Coincidentally I had this same problem just before Christmas. A newish W222 though, with plenty of sensors and specified with the infra-red reflecting and noise insulating glass, heated windscreen and HUD as 3 windscreen-related, relatively expensive optional extras.

Because of the extras I really wanted only a local MB dealer replacing the windscreen. It took an age to finally get written agreement from my insurance company (Aviva) that they would refund me the cost (£1593) less excess (£75) of getting the part and work done at MB (Listers Grimsby) rather than Autoglass.

It was, at times, immensely frustrating dealing with this, but I'm glad I put my foot down and stuck to my guns. The assurance from MB that the replacement parts were *identical* to the existing windscreen and that all the fitting and calibration (that would need to be done by an MB garage anyway) would be properly done was essential in my case. If there had been any problem I was very confident of getting the MB Grimsby to sort it out very quickly at their expense.

If you want to do the same and want to talk it through, perhaps easier over the phone, just PM me.

Anyway, good luck with the outcome, whatever you decide to do! [emoji6]

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

I had to have the screen replaced on my E63 last year. The car has the full Driver Assistance Package (so the stereo cameras on the screen) and I'm insured with Aviva.

Autoglass were a joke. They told me that I'd have to take the car to one of their calibration centres for the screen to be fitted, the nearest of which was around an hour's drive away; they promised call-backs that didn't happen. I called them and told them not to bother as I was taking my business elsewhere.

So I contacted National Windscreens in Aylesbury. Spoke with the manager there and asked if they could do the job - including the calibration - and if they'd use an OEM screen. Was told that they did the calibration on site and that normally they would use an aftermarket "equivalent" but that they could request authority from Aviva to fit OEM instead. It took a couple of days to get Aviva to authorise it, but once that came through the car was booked in and National Windscreens did an excellent job. The icing on the cake was that on the day they were fitting the screen, Autoglass called me to confirm a fitting appointment :rolleyes:

Bearing in mind Autoglass's attitude, my suggestion to the OP is that they find out if Admiral have an arrangement with any other windscreen firms and try one of them. Get them to put in writing that all features of the current OEM screen will be preserved by whatever they fit, and that they will carry out all required calibration to the required MB standard, before you engage them to do the work.

Hi
Feeling gutted at the minute .
My car is less than 3 weeks old and I’ve just noticed a large crack in the front windscreen , I can’t see any impact marks and I’m wondering if this could be a stress crack and would it be covered by warranty , How would I stand getting it replaced by Mercedes through my insurance if it wasn’t covered by the warranty .

Hi
Feeling gutted at the minute .
My car is less than 3 weeks old and I’ve just noticed a large crack in the front windscreen , I can’t see any impact marks and I’m wondering if this could be a stress crack and would it be covered by warranty , How would I stand getting it replaced by Mercedes through my insurance if it wasn’t covered by the warranty .
If its less than 3 years old you can request OEM replacement

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

Thanks Riva , is that through the insurance company or warranty ? If it’s through insurance company does the OEM replacement go for all insurance companies if the cars less than 3 years old.

Thanks Riva , is that through the insurance company or warranty ? If it’s through insurance company does the OEM replacement go for all insurance companies if the cars less than 3 years old.
It was via admiral insurance and autoglass . The autoglass person on the phone is clueless or pretends to be to make sure they give you the cheapest part possible but eventually they will come to their senses when it reaches the technical team and they are like oh the camera needs calibration and so do the headlights and it needs to be IR reflective and you then get an analogue. But if the car is less than 3 years old you can get OEM, probably for a bit extra. I mean mine is pillington or whatever the brand is and got can't tell its not the original. It does have an MB logo on it I think, I am a bit puzzled.

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom