Windscreen replacement, autoglass glass or OEM?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And if one has signed the contract, that in its T&Cs, explicitly states they can dictate the part fitted, or the supplier of the part to be fitted, how does that change things?

I've always insisted (and had) OEM glass fitted by autoglass...
this is a strength component for the car and besides- if your car was being repaired under insurance cover- you would probably insist on original parts... so same difference i reckon?

And if one has signed the contract, that in its T&Cs, explicitly states they can dictate the part fitted, or the supplier of the part to be fitted, how does that change things?
I could be wrong here but I dont think modern insurance contracts specify exactly what parts/items will be provided in the event of loss or damage. If this is the case then that would be an unusual contract term and would have to be pointed out to you at the inception of the policy. Insurers may say that in certain circumstances ie windscreen replacement their own suppliers will be used.What I was trying to say was that if their suppliers try to say that they cannot provide some item (say an OEM MB screen) and Insurers refuse you the right to go elsewhere they are in breach of the insurance contract to indemnify you.Dont let some call centre jockey tell you otherwise.

I could be wrong here but I dont think modern insurance contracts specify exactly what parts/items will be provided in the event of loss or damage.

OEM spec is good enough in most cases, unless you own a very rare exotic car like a McLaren F1 for example.

How many cars on the road have the same brand and model of tyres since they left the factory?
Most people would not even know which tyres were originally fitted.

OEM spec is good enough in most cases, unless you own a very rare exotic car like a McLaren F1 for example.

How many cars on the road have the same brand and model of tyres since they left the factory?
You are quite correct of course - but if you have a damaged OEM MB component you are entitled to the same being put back if thats what you specifically want.

I had a windscreen replaced by Autoglass earlier in the year. No issues at all.
The fitter advised I took it to MB to check the camera in front of the rear view mirror in case it needed setting. I didn't but it still reads speed signs if I want it to etc.

It is an insurance claim of course so it needs declaring if switching insurers and subsequent companies can weigh the premium if they so wish.

It's on the data card , along with whether the lights fitted were Bosch or Hella , and a multitude of other things ...

I often buy cars with aftermarket tyres fitted , but always replace them with Contis when the time comes ; if I put premium tyres on my car , I would expect matching replacement in the event of a claim ( and a pair fitted , with me paying for the undamaged replacement , if the damaged one was significantly part worn ) .

My recently bought SL currently has aftermarket glass in the passenger door ; I will be replacing that at my own cost with a ( used ) genuine MB door glass in due course .

Having looked at the small print of most of the cheapest insurers they indicate in the terms Autoglass must be used. If opting for own provider, the maximum is limited to £150-250 plus the excess charge.

I have distronic and cameras for traffic signs, with embedded fine vertical wires on the far right and left (not sure what these are for!) so opted for the Daimler insurance for Mercedes underwritten by Aviva as I have a brand new car. An extra £200 what I would normally pay (with higher excess) but includes panoramic sunroof as a glass claim, unlike some other policies that treat it as damage claim. Also provides all OEM parts for all repairs. Also includes legal which I don't want to take out and a much lower excess which I wanted to voluntarily increase to lower the premium but they don't allow!

Though some other policies also provide OEM parts for cars under manufacturer warranty. Others state non OEM parts may be used, or if a OEM part is not available in the UK it won't import it, and use equivalent parts.

I would prefer MB-branded windscreen, but I would also be OK with Pilkington-branded windscreen. I would be weary about anything else....

Needed our windscreen to be replaced in 2017 due to a crack. Job was done by Autoglass. I requested OEM glass which was approved by my insurer no problem. Took a bit longer for them to get the glass as they were on back order from MB. All good in the end. The new screen got chipped a couple of months later and needed to be repaired. Again done by Autoglass, no problem.

Had mine replaced by Autoglass last year. They knew it had sensor as soon as I gave them the registration.

I had a choice of taking it to Mercedes where Autoglass would replace the glass and then it would get re-calibrated, or take it to their depot and get the glass done and then take it to Mercedes for re calibration myself (booked by them and paid for by them). Lead time for one visit was 4 weeks, to do 2 trips was a week for Autoglass and 3 days later for Mercedes.

Took the option to do two visits and all went as expected. Glass fitted was genuine Mercedes, hadn't requested it, but maybe because its the convertible and there may not be pattern parts for a low volume vehicle.

We had a screen replaced on a Skoda yeti, not oem but selling the car so didn’t matter. Problems come when something doesn’t work, the yeti had a heated screen plus sensors for lights and wipers. If a fault occurs Skoda warranty won’t cover it because it’s not Skoda so you are left arguing between auto glass who will say it a fault with the car and the manufacture who will say it’s a sensor etc. Of course Skoda would investigate if you pay them and if it’s a fault with the car they will pay, if they find it’s the screen then you have to pay for the diagnostic work. A new car warranty is supposed to take that sort of aggravation away.
I read sometime ago about an Audi A6 that had a non oem tow bar and electrics fitted, obviously much cheaper than Audi doing it. Car developed a fault, Audi said it was the towbar electrics, the towbar company said it was Audi, customer was left in the middle with nowhere to go, not sure how it ended.

Why would you not want OEM?

Pilkington make some Mercedes windscreens.

Autoglass will also fit a Mercedes branded windscreen.

Direct experience last yesr

Like all manufactures merc do not make the glass themselves, it will be made by a glass company that makes glass for many makers, for having a merc name on it merc add their markup and sell it a premium.
By buying non branded (but made in the same factory) substantial saving can be made. But of course if there is a problem merc have no responsibilities for it so think carefully if the car is still within warranty, if not I can’t see that it would make much difference.

I had a none OEM windscreen fitted by Autoglass that eventually resulted in a leak. The lower strip that is fixed to the bottom of the screen is made from plastic and after 6 months started to move / become unbonded (clips to the scuttle plate). Autoglass accepted it was a defect and said it wasn’t an uncommon issue with some MB models. They said the none OEM screen had since been “upgraded” and would order a new one (took this option as only a weeks lead time v 3-4 for OEM), when it arrived it was exactly the same!! The bottom strip on the new one already looked damaged, I guess as it’s stored on the floor with the strip in contact creating the damage.

A new OEM screen was ordered. This one had a metallic and plastic strip that bonds much more securely to screen. So far so good. To be honest the glass of the Autoglass screen may be identical to OEM, but it’s other bits they cut corners on for cost savings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom