windscreen replacement - roadside or workshop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobertoMercini

Car
E250 BlueEff Coupe
Thoughts please? Can anyone think of any negatives to allowing MB to send a technician to me to fit a windscreen instead of it being done inside a garage workshop?

I replace mine with Autoglass and I went to them instead of the technician coming out to me.

The negatives I thought off which made me go to them were:

1. the weather
2. help with lifting windscreen
3. correct windscreen availbility

^^+1

But the main benefit of having it at your place is the car can't be driven for x amount of time, normally.

I replace mine with Autoglass and I went to them instead of the technician coming out to me.

The negatives I thought off which made me go to them were:

1. the weather

The only possible negative I can think of.

2. help with lifting windscreen
It's a one man job, on a car anyway. Mobile fitters are single crewed.

3. correct windscreen availbility

I would hope that bringing the correct windscreen with them is a minimum requirement!

^^+1

But the main benefit of having it at your place is the car can't be driven for x amount of time, normally.

+1

Modern windscreens are bonded in place, and driving around before the adhesive has set will mess up the bond. I gained the impression that a modern windscreen affects the structural integrity of the car. I had several screens on my 1999 W202 and there was always a wait time required, and they worked in our garage if the weather was poor (not that it fitted with all the junk, just shelter).

+1

Modern windscreens are bonded in place.
Another innovation, I believe, from the much-maligned BMC/BL/BLMC/Rover Group, and first introduced on the Montego, along with folding rear seats in a saloon.

Other more minor firsts were the transverse engine/FWD - the Mini, and the 5 door hatch, the Maxi

Another innovation, I believe, from the much-maligned BMC/BL/BLMC/Rover Group, and first introduced on the Montego, along with folding rear seats in a saloon.

Other more minor firsts were the transverse engine/FWD - the Mini, and the 5 door hatch, the Maxi

The system was employed well before the Montego's era, Alfa fitted bonded w/screens to the Sud.

The system was employed well before the Montego's era, Alfa fitted bonded w/screens to the Sud.

:fail

Think we both may be wrong, apparently a glued screen was used on the 1964 Buick Riviera, IIRC the Alfasud was introduced in 1971.

Was it that the Montego was the first to make the bonded windscreen (as opposed to glued) a structural part of the car?

At this point I'll apologise for diverting the thread off-course.

Malcolm

I would hope that bringing the correct windscreen with them is a minimum requirement!

This might be more tricky than one would like it to be.

With current variations, including rain/light sensor location, UV and non-UV protective glass, shaded and non-shaded, etc. it is not as simple.

I remember few years back I had a unrepairable crack on ML windscreen. We arranged for the Autoglass chap to carry out the replacement at our home. Gave all the details of the car over the phone (but at no point did they ask for the actual chassis number).
When he arrived, it turned out that he didnt have the correct windscreen for the model/year of the car.
The car had a private plate which was recently transfered and on their system was still showing as CLS.
The office blamed the technician, he blamed the office...I ended up taking the car to their workshop and getting it done there.

:fail

Think we both may be wrong, apparently a glued screen was used on the 1964 Buick Riviera, IIRC the Alfasud was introduced in 1971.

Was it that the Montego was the first to make the bonded windscreen (as opposed to glued) a structural part of the car?

At this point I'll apologise for diverting the thread off-course.

Malcolm

Don't know about the Riviera but the Alfa was bonded, thus it formed part of the structural rigidity.

Given that I was busy and couldn't be around until he'd finished, he didn't advise me how long to leave before driving. What would be safest?

2 hours max approx depending on ambient temp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom