Windscreen successfully replaced!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rashman

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK
Hey guys,

I am relieved to say that todays mission of replacing my windscreen went very well indeed. :rock:

In all, the process took about 2.5 hrs.
Although this was probably longer than usual, due to my OCD. lol!

I was originally going to take the car to Mercedes to have the work done.
But a friend of mine pointed out that MB probably don't get many screen replacement jobs on a regular basis.
With this in mind, I decided to go with people that do this sort of thing everyday.

I expressed my concerns about the process to the window guy. (though he was "briefed" before coming round! lol)
He soon learned what I am like with the car and took great care.
Needless to say, the working environment was like an operating theatre. :rolleyes:

He explained everything while he worked.... while I followed him around the car, cleaning areas that are usually hidden! lol

I was also impressed to see that there are new gadgets in use, when removing windscreens.

I once saw my friends screen being replaced and the guy who did it effectively used a cheese wire with 2 handles, one at each end, to hold.
The guy then proceeded to tug away at the cheese wire to cut away the bond.
Very nasty to watch.
However, the guy who came to me today had a gadget that suckered onto the inside of the screen.
After attaching a reel of wire on the outside of the screen, he then fed the end of the wire around the screen and then attached it to the gadget on the inside of the screen.
He then simply wound a handle which, in turn, pulled the wire cleanly around the screen, cutting away the bond.

The guy told me that he was very nervous during the work, and was most relieved when he was finished.
He actually exhaled with relief! lol :crazy:

He said that, now that the work was completed, he could now appreciate the car, and proceeded to have a good look around it.

Big weight off my mind.

Last edited:
Was that the only crack in the screen? That tiny little one in the top corner?

I'd have just stuck a little bit of black electrician's tape over it and called it a day!

:)

I'd have just stuck a little bit of black electrician's tape over it and called it a day!

:)

I beg your pardon? :eek:

lol! :D:doh:

Admittedly, the crack in the corner may have been ok to leave.
It probably wouldn't have failed an MOT test either.

But I couldn't just leave it like that, bud.

:thumb:

I thought you'd like the electrician's tape bit! :D

Seriously though, I wonder if using something like stone chip resin would have made the crack 'disappear', instead of having to go through the risks associated with a full replacement?

I'm merely thinking 'aloud' here... :eek:

I thought you'd like the electrician's tape bit! :D

Seriously though, I wonder if using something like stone chip resin would have made the crack 'disappear', instead of having to go through the risks associated with a full replacement?

I'm merely thinking 'aloud' here... :eek:

Yeah, I know what you mean.
I did wonder myself whether it could be repaired.
But the guy said that it couldn't really be repaired, being that the crack had reached 2 edges of the glass. :(

Believe me, I wasn't at all looking forward to the procedure. :crazy:

When you ran your finger nail over the crack, you could feel that the broken corner was also raised higher than the edge of the rest of the screen.

For peace of mind, I wanted it replaced.

I didn't like the thought of having a "loose" corner edge.
Structural rigidity/ intergrity may also have been compromised somewhat, too.

On the plus side, I now have a flawlessly clear screen.
I had accumulated a few chips over the last year and it's nice that they're gone. :bannana:

Though I'm sure I'll see a few appear soon enough... :devil::eek:

Glad all went well for you mate. Was it Autoglass in the end?

Yo!

Yeah, man. Autoglass in the end.
I was expecting Krusty The Clown to turn up, but the young guy was really cool.

I was really quite impressed at how cleanly the guy removed the screen.

Not nearly as much butchery as I was initially expecting. :crazy:

Hope you are well!

How's your horse-luck these days? lol :D

Keep an eye out for a revised AMG meet thread!...... :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom