Windscreen suddenly steaming up!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GDAWG10

Car
C Class Sports Coupe
I had my windscreen replaced in March by AutoGlass. They fitted a non dealer screen. I bought my car last November and I can't seem to remember any issues with the screen holding a lot of condensation or steaming up even in the coldest/wettest of weathers. I do seem to remember that went it did steam up, a quick blast of the heater and it would be clear in seconds.

I'm not sure how much it rained or how cold it was in the spring but I don't seem to recall any issues even after the screen was fitted. Recently, it seems every time I get in the car, the windscreen is steamed up and wet on the inside. The heating doesn't clear it and I need to constantly wipe it and have the heating on so it doesn't steam up again.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? Should I call Autoglass out again or is this just the non dealer generic glass they use (which I add is supposed to be exactly the same as the MB glass minus the badge)?

If the screen does not show a MB emblem, it's not OEM, and is not to be considered anything like one other than it being of similar technical and aesthetic characteristics.

This touches on the OEM versus aftermarket glass quality conundrum, and in terms of a possible cause for the problem with your windscreen, there is one obvious case (if the condensation can be attributed to the fitting) which is more about the preparation (or lack of) and there is a (very common unfortunately) case of poor workmanship, here.

Yep, I had this debate with them at the time. I can't remember what happened exactly but something along the lines of numerous call outs and gaffes. I think the first time they quoted one price for MB glass and then when they turned up they asked for a lot more. The second time after the price was agreed, they turned up without the MB glass. In the end I said just stick the glass you have on for the £75 excess. The technicians were adamant that it was just a label and I was being ridiculous.

A dirty screen will steam up much more as the moisture has something to cling onto. Give it a clean with autoglym or similar and see if that improves things.

I'm new to the MB stable but absolutely amazed at how easily my car mists up and how long it takes to clear. Previously, with Audi and VW, just keeping the aircon switched on made sure the air inside was always dry. Not so for my new steed.

I can't imagine that OEM versus after market glass makes the slightest bit of difference. It's laminated glass and the properties don't vary much unless there is a massive difference in thickness or in surface roughness providing a better nucleation site for mist. For that to be the case, the glass would have to be so rough you could hardly see out of it.

Try a good application of RainEx on the inside. That might make a difference.

A thought - is your heating set to re-cycle air instead of venting. Easy to press the button accidentally!

Piff said:
A thought - is your heating set to re-cycle air instead of venting. Easy to press the button accidentally!
try this. When driving keep air con off as much as poss air going to screen to dry it off but before you stop turn air to blow in footwell this seems to keep my clk from misting. Remember if blasting windows at anytime when you switch off air con comes on so switch it off :) hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom