windscreen wiper judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Got my truck a few months ago with only 200 miles on the clock.
Since new the windscreen wipers have been a pain, juddering in anything other than heavy rain.
Bearing in mind that screen is new, blades are new and washer bottle was full of main dealers screen wash - whats the problem?
Anything I can do to clean the screen/blades or add to the washer bottle?

The cause of wiper judder is the inability of the wiper blade to flip over when it changes direction... of sweep... on the screen, the symptoms of judder are that the blade become noisy/"scraping" as it “bounces” across the screen (leaving a pattern on the wet screen similar to a Japanese fan) and judders is in one ONE DIRECTION ONLY, useually on the outbound sweep, on the return sweep... when the blade returns to the bottom of the screen... there is no “bouncing” or noise and so there is no judder.

The reason for judder is either the wrong blade/s is fitted OR the blade/s has deformed through long periods of inactive.

If you do have judder, then the solution to your problem is the replacement with the CORRECT blades for the vehicle, there is, as far as I know, no other possible explanation for your problem.

Dec

Last edited:
Agree with Dec, first line of attack must be to renew wiper blades. Don't forget that although your car has only done 200 miles and you consider that it is new, it may have been sitting around in compounds for months, so the rubber in the blades may be anything but new!.
In the bad old days of vast overstocking, a pal of mine who worked for Peugeot used to revel in the tale that people were trading in their three year old cars for new ones - blissfully ignorant of the fact that their "new" car was in fact older than the one they traded in! :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom