windscreen wiper struggle when windscreen is dry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coertvandorsten

My windscreen wiper motor sems to be at its last days and only works when the windscreen is wet, that helps the wiper overcome the friction to move.Is this a worn out motor or can the mechanism be the problem?

What car do you have?

If it has a single wiper then the mechanism is favourite. Thers is plenty of help in the archives on dealing with this.

Welcome to the forums as well.

Thank you , its a w201 with 178000 miles on the clock

If it is the mechanism seizing up can it be lubricated?

The W201 has a metal casing that can not be opened easily, if at all, without breaking it.

The way i did it was to remove the motor and mechanism, underneath you will see four small holes, spray LOTS of white grease into these holes.

Mine was also getting very slow and there was no discernable difference between normal and fast speeds. But doing the above has cured mine and brough it back to life.

Also spray some on the shaft at the bottom of the wiper arm.

Stu

Last edited:
When I was a hooligan motorcyclist (;)) I used a spray-on chain lube. It was a very sticky heavy grease in a volatile carrier. It came in an aerosol with a directable tube and would be ideal for this application.

I can't remember what it was called, especially as my last bike was shaft drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom