Windshield washer dribble?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MKopec88

Car
2015 Mercedes C Class Estate Premium Plus
Hi guys. I feel stupid but can't figure this out. I added some windshield washer fluid to my w205 c class. Comes out fine from the back but the front, it just dribbles out.

I put in very little liquid into the windshield washer compartment and it got to the top very quickly. Any idea what's happening?

Usually there is one pump which spins one way for the fronts and the other way for the rears, each with it's own tubing. The front tubes and/or washer nozzles could be blocked. Try detaching the tube and see if the flow of water is adequate. If so, blow out the washers with compressed air and see if it cures it.

Dirt may settle in the bottom of the reservoir and block the pump. Getting at the pipes is difficulty. The front pipes have a heating wire built in so don’t be tempted to cut the pipe to gain access. When I had your problem I collided not clean the blockage by flushing out the bottle so had to remove the pump which is not hard. My local MB dealer quoted £127 for the job. Follow this process it only takes 20 minutes.
* Park car with front wheels on full right lock.
* Remove two 10mm nuts from the rear of the passenger side front wheel arch lining . The nuts are plastic so don’t rust and live in a small recess in the lining one near the bottom and one 3/4 of the way up.
* next step is to remove two plastic push in clips at the very base of the lining. Use a small screwdriver to release the centre pin with it pulled forward use plyers to remove the clip.
* carefully pull the lining towards the wheel staring from the base, it only needs to be moved enough to gain access. Gloves are recommended as it’s mucky.
* you should now see the pump at the bottom of the wing recess. It is removed by pulling it up, a large screwdriver may help to aid its release
* if successful the contents of the bottle are now escaping
* on the end of the pump will be a 2cm long rubber bung with filter holes in it. If it’s not stuck on the pump it’s still in the reservoir just carefully prize it’s away.
* wash the black rubber bung well pulling it a little to open the filter pores.
* replace the bung into the reservoir and then push the pump into place.
* top us reservoir with a little water to test that the bung is correctly back in place
* close the bonnet and test the washers. Note the washers will not work with the bonnet open another little known feature that’s not in the hand book
* if all is ok replace wheel arch lining the two clips and two nuts, top up the washer with water and screen wash.
Hope this helps.

As well as dirt, some screen wash solutions become sludgy over time and can cause a blockage. I initially ignored this as your rear works fine unless your car has 2 separate pumps (I don't know the w205 set up without looking it up)

The estate (S205) has one pump and two outlets. The saloon (W205) just has one outlet.

I have the 2015 Mercedes c class estate. Will take a look further tomorrow in the morning. Car still has 2 months warranty from dealership but if I can do the job I might have a look to avoid needing to drive around.

Dirt may settle in the bottom of the reservoir and block the pump. Getting at the pipes is difficulty. The front pipes have a heating wire built in so don’t be tempted to cut the pipe to gain access. When I had your problem I collided not clean the blockage by flushing out the bottle so had to remove the pump which is not hard. My local MB dealer quoted £127 for the job. Follow this process it only takes 20 minutes.
* Park car with front wheels on full right lock.
* Remove two 10mm nuts from the rear of the passenger side front wheel arch lining . The nuts are plastic so don’t rust and live in a small recess in the lining one near the bottom and one 3/4 of the way up.
* next step is to remove two plastic push in clips at the very base of the lining. Use a small screwdriver to release the centre pin with it pulled forward use plyers to remove the clip.
* carefully pull the lining towards the wheel staring from the base, it only needs to be moved enough to gain access. Gloves are recommended as it’s mucky.
* you should now see the pump at the bottom of the wing recess. It is removed by pulling it up, a large screwdriver may help to aid its release
* if successful the contents of the bottle are now escaping
* on the end of the pump will be a 2cm long rubber bung with filter holes in it. If it’s not stuck on the pump it’s still in the reservoir just carefully prize it’s away.
* wash the black rubber bung well pulling it a little to open the filter pores.
* replace the bung into the reservoir and then push the pump into place.
* top us reservoir with a little water to test that the bung is correctly back in place
* close the bonnet and test the washers. Note the washers will not work with the bonnet open another little known feature that’s not in the hand book
* if all is ok replace wheel arch lining the two clips and two nuts, top up the washer with water and screen wash.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom