windsreen repair ....not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjhalstead

Car
E 350 Estate
I had a chip repaired by Auto glass 1 week on the repair fell out. A technician now comming to see if it is repairable. Chip is about size of a 5p and deep. Maybe a replacement windscreen .Can i insist on a Merc OEM windscreen or are the pattern ones as good??

I enquired about this a while back. Spoke to the manager of our local AutoGlass depot, he said if I requested an OEM 'screen they (AutoGlass) would have to contact my insurer to see if they would cover the extra cost of the MB screen (~£800 for my model).

He also commented they had just had a delivery of 'pattern' 'screens for various MB models. Closer inspection showed them to be OEM but with the etching changed to disguise them. Quite common on many marques he said, when supplies of pattern screens weren't available!

Last edited:
I'm in the midst of a 8 month argument with Markerstudy because their designated fitting company (who they own) have failed on 6 occasions to supply "pattern" glass to an acceptable standard - i.e. without scratches, major flaws or damage to the outer edge.

It's now in the hands of the ombudsman.

There was an Ombudsman ruling a while back that sets precedent on this if the Insurance Company refuse to fully or partially fund an OEM replacement screen.

The gist of the decision was that, depending upon the precise policy wording, an Insurance Company may well be able to refuse to fully fund an OEM replacement screen on the grounds of the cost being higher than for their "equivalent". However, in the event that this is the case, the policyholder can reasonably insist on the use of an OEM part if they pay the difference in material cost between the Insurance Company's replacement part and the OEM part.

Pretty much what the AutoGlass guy said. If the insurer won't cough for the OEM 'screen I could simply pay the balance between pattern and OEM cost.

He also said on some models one had to have OEM as pattern glass wasn't available, mainly BMWs...

The same thing happened to me on my W221 S320 ,picked up my first stone chip,it was not big,my insurance says use Autoglass,so their guy came along he looked at the chip and then went into the spiel about it might not repair,well this was a small chip nowhere near the size and depth of yours,he started to pick at it after a few mins he started to repair it saying he would try his best,but he seemed to do things a bit half hearted,when he had finished it just about looked ok but after he had gone I went out for a drive and noticed where the repair had been there was now a dull white patch so I got onto Autoglass and said I was not satisfied and they sent somebody else and we agreed to have a new screen fitted,if you go that route make sure it is the right one as depending on the extras fitted to your car, getting it out was crazy they have this weird contraption of wheels and yellow cord and this is fitted to the inside of the screen and it is wound by a handle well it did not work and he used wire in a sawing motion to cut the adhesive was I glad when that screen came out,it left me wondering if Autoglass have decided that they have to fit more screens,just a thought

There was an Ombudsman ruling a while back that sets precedent on this if the Insurance Company refuse to fully or partially fund an OEM replacement screen.

The gist of the decision was that, depending upon the precise policy wording, an Insurance Company may well be able to refuse to fully fund an OEM replacement screen on the grounds of the cost being higher than for their "equivalent". However, in the event that this is the case, the policyholder can reasonably insist on the use of an OEM part if they pay the difference in material cost between the Insurance Company's replacement part and the OEM part.

Yet another example of Insurers being able to escape their responsibility to indemnify their Insured, the whole principle of insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom