Wing Mirror Auto Fold Upgrade - W220 S Class 2001

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gurraj_singh

Car
S320 L CDI (2001)
The Electric Seat / Door Control Module in my 2001 W220 S Class failed. I had the wing mirrors that fold on one press. (I do not have to hold the button down for them to fold, but also they would not fold when locking / unlocking the car)

Everything electrical which ran via the driver side door module stopped working. Wing mirrors were stuck folded in, seat out of position, steering wheel kept moving to its lowest position even with the auto function turned off; soft close, windows, heat, boot release & indicator all stopped working. But only in the driver side door, the 3 other windows, seats, heating, memory worked via the modules in their own doors, but not from the driver door.

The only thing that stayed working in the driver door was the central locking, thankfully. But it was not safe to drive the car.

From MB the module new cots £430, Initially when I gave them the part number as shown in the photo below they said that it didnt exist. But after doing a 'manual search' they found it with a different part number.

Sifted around the internet, found a used module, found one from a breaker £125 delivered, 30 day warranty from Merc Man. It was a risk as the part number was not an exact match. But from photos Merc Man sent me it appeared that all the pins matched.

I have installed the replacement module and everything is working again as it should. Just a case of reconnecting the wires.
PLUS the wing mirrors now auto fold when locking/unlocking the car! This is a feature I wanted and had been told by various people that the computer needed reprogramming. But it transpires this is not the case.

If the forum allows it I have uploaded photos of the old failed module & the replacement used module below for you to compare numbers should anyones module fail and wish to upgrade the mirrors to auto fold.

Old Failed Module
2015-11-15%2013.56.31.jpg

2015-11-15%2013.56.13.jpg

Rear of replacement part from MercMan
IMG_7815.JPG

Excellent, good to know you saved a load of ££ over buying a new one. The trouble with the top end range of Mercs (S/SL/CL) is that they are now very affordable (SL55 for instance), but its still a 80k-100k car and the parts do not get cheaper just because the car is old - so you can get scary parts bills.

> This is a feature I wanted and had been told by various people that the
> computer needed reprogramming. But it transpires this is not the case.

The door control module is one of the things that needed reprogramming ! Luckily your replacement was already programmed that way.

Instrument cluster normally needs to get re-configured to enable the folding mirrors on/off menu too - but if you don't want to turn it off it that wont be an issue (and it is possible it learned it)

R

The Electric Seat / Door Control Module in my 2001 W220 S Class failed. I had the wing mirrors that fold on one press. (I do not have to hold the button down for them to fold, but also they would not fold when locking / unlocking the car)

Everything electrical which ran via the driver side door module stopped working. Wing mirrors were stuck folded in, seat out of position, steering wheel kept moving to its lowest position even with the auto function turned off; soft close, windows, heat, boot release & indicator all stopped working. But only in the driver side door, the 3 other windows, seats, heating, memory worked via the modules in their own doors, but not from the driver door.

The only thing that stayed working in the driver door was the central locking, thankfully. But it was not safe to drive the car.

From MB the module new cots £430, Initially when I gave them the part number as shown in the photo below they said that it didnt exist. But after doing a 'manual search' they found it with a different part number.

Sifted around the internet, found a used module, found one from a breaker £125 delivered, 30 day warranty from Merc Man. It was a risk as the part number was not an exact match. But from photos Merc Man sent me it appeared that all the pins matched.

I have installed the replacement module and everything is working again as it should. Just a case of reconnecting the wires.
PLUS the wing mirrors now auto fold when locking/unlocking the car! This is a feature I wanted and had been told by various people that the computer needed reprogramming. But it transpires this is not the case.

If the forum allows it I have uploaded photos of the old failed module & the replacement used module below for you to compare numbers should anyones module fail and wish to upgrade the mirrors to auto fold.

Old Failed Module

IMG_7815.JPG

Old Failed Module

IMG_7815.JPG
Hi gurraj_singh, thanks for this. I have a W220 2001 with exactly the same issue. Any idea what the part number might be? I cannot see the image on your post. Ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom