Wing Mirror Glass - £348 !! Any alternatives?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkyMark

Car
R231 SL63 / Mclaren 720s / Exige GT3 / Westfield Megablade
Hey all. I need to replace the wing mirror glass and have been quoted £348 from Mercedes!! Has anyone used an alternative? The car is a 2014 SL63, so its heated and dimmable, that being said, if I can have a regular glass attached for the time being it would help right now!

Normal glass should be easy enough to find.. Try ECP, eBay etc

Find the part number and google it. I did this with my previous Audi. It's the dimmable bit that's the nuisance.

Audi circa £450, found it on line at a parts supplier for £250.

Fitting a non dimmable to a dimmable setup may throw a code - probably worth checking.

Is your gripe the cost of the glass...
Judging by the OP saying “£348!” then I would say yes.

It is a a lot, and to be honest I would reluctantly pay it on a 2014 SL63 but wouldn’t on a car costing much much less.

My 2003 C-Class had dimming mirrors and I doubt the owner of that car now would pay £348 for one now.

Unfortunately the cost of one dimming mirror would be a significant proportion of the value of the car now.

For a temporary fix you can buy generic mirror glass I’ve seen them around £10/15 they have a self adhesive pad that just sticks over the top of the existing one, lots of motor parts place’s will sell them. it might not be an exact shape match, but it’s got to be better than nothing.

The dimming part is what is makes then expensive and then you have the heating element.

I think you would miss the features if you went standard glass.

Ask the MB dealer for a discount.

Fair enough its expensive but you are driving an AMG.

AliExpress.

I have just replaced my Wingmirror glass on the G-Wagon. It was £17 delivered (only took a week!) and has heated elements, wiring for the Blind Spot Assist, dimming and is perfect. Im very suprised!

1646384293848.png

Last edited:
Have a look on eBay, or try some of the breakers - eg MSL, Dronsfields, MercMan etc.

Dimming glass has always been expensive on all models (£200+ for years now) so not surprised at the cost. Having said that, it’l would have been a ~ £100k car new and spare parts will be expensive! :)

AliExpress.

I have just replaced my Wingmirror glass on the G-Wagon. It was £17 delivered (only took a week!) and has heated elements, wiring for the Blind Spot Assist, dimming and is perfect. Im very suprised!

View attachment 124504
Very good, would you mind sharing where from?

The dimming part is what is makes then expensive and then you have the heating element.

No.

It's the manufacturers that make them 'expensive'.

It's notable that simple plastic parts and lights and mirror casings and glass are all disproportionately expensive for what they are.

And I believe that's because, unlike say brake pads and discs and ball joints that these parts are typically replaced under insurance rather than being part of servicing and maintenance costs born directly by the customer.

+ 1 for Aliexpress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom