Wing mirror indicators advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

comports

Car
CLK 350 Cabriolet
Hi Gang,

I've not owned my 2003 CLK cab for long and today (twice in fact) I came back to the car parked in a car park (shopping :-() for someone to tell me the wing mirror lights were flashing..! None of the other indicators were they told me and then tonight in the drive, a neighbour popped round to let me know the same.

Is this an alarm function do you know.? Perhaps it went off or something. I didn't hear anything and the lights were off as my daughter unlocked and locked it again before I got there.? (note to self - hide my keys from her)

Can anyone shed any light on this as to the likely cause.?

My 2004 W203 drivers side wing mirror indicator stopped working a few months back.
I turned out that the loom wears out what with all the closing and opening. Your car is about the same age.
So I would take a guess and say that the loom has got a short in it and needs replacing.
Its not an expensive job. My local indie charged about £30 to replace the wiring loom.

That's what I thought Jaymanek but would all the indicators (including rears) blink as well. It's just the wing mirror lights.?

I've read somewhere that it might be to do with the alarm battery(??) getting low. Not sure if this is true or even for my model year car..

Seems very strange to me though.

My 2004 W203 drivers side wing mirror indicator stopped working a few months back.
I turned out that the loom wears out what with all the closing and opening. Your car is about the same age.
So I would take a guess and say that the loom has got a short in it and needs replacing.
Its not an expensive job. My local indie charged about £30 to replace the wiring loom.

That's good value. I had my mirror to pieces at the weekend, and even knowing what to do I can't imagine that it can have taken much less than an hour. Took me three, and I still need to go back and repeat the job more fully...

Hi Gang - It's not that they are not working but working for no apparent reason (or at least not one that I know of)

If/when your alarm goes off, do all your indicator lights flash (rear, front side) or is it just the wing mirrors.

This is starting to worry me that there might be something wrong with the alarm.

Any other ideas..?

Thanks

Hi,
Test to see if the alarm siren is faulty, lock yourself in the car and wave a hand in front of the sensors, and set it off, check if all the indicators are flashing, all the indicators should flash rapidly, if it does,nt work it is a common issue and is an easy DIY job to do.
My understanding of the mirror indicators is that they are just looped off of the wiring for the front and rear indicators, so if the door ones are working then the front and rear ones should be too, if as you are saying it is only the mirror ones working this implies that they are fed from the CAN (door control module), but then unless your really unlucky and have both modules fail at the same time, one should still operate as normal.

Hi Andy,

Just tested it in the garage and all works fine like that. Front, rear and wing mirror lights flash and siren sounds (and blimey it's loud in a garage).

Are there any circumstances that the wing mirror lights would flash alone..? Perhaps a notification to the owner that the alarm had been set off..? I believe the siren can only sound for 30 seconds or so for noise pollution issues and nothing was sounding when I got back to the car the other day.?

Hi,
Have you seen just the mirror indicators flashing on their own yourself?
As far as I,m aware there isn,t any circumstance that they need to flash on their own.

Hi,
Have you seen just the mirror indicators flashing on their own yourself?
As far as I,m aware there isn,t any circumstance that they need to flash on their own.

+1

I don't believe there would be any reason for this to happen. As above, have you witnessed it yourself?

Perhaps the mirror indicators are just more visible to passers by when they're flashing.

Agreed - I have not seen it for myself but it has happened twice now. I did happen in my drive and I did not hear the alarm at all. My neighbour came round to tell me the wing mirrors were flashing but he also did not mention an alarm sound.

Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Agreed - I have not seen it for myself but it has happened twice now. I did happen in my drive and I did not hear the alarm at all. My neighbour came round to tell me the wing mirrors were flashing but he also did not mention an alarm sound.

Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

When the alarm has been activated I recall that the lights continue to flash for a while even once the siren has silenced. The siren may only sound for something like 30 seconds or so. The flashing indicators are a visual indicator that the alarm had activated.

However, as stated above when this happens all of the indicator lights would flash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom