Wing mirror movement when in reverse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G11DOM

Car
CLK55 AMG W208
My passenger side wing mirror moves automaticaly when I select reverse and points downwards at the rear wheel to avoid the kurbs with my alloys. Although I think this is a nice touch it does not reset itself again when you select drive.

Is there a way of setting the mirror up to move back to its original position when the car is in drive or if not to turn this function off?

It should automatically return to it's normal positon prior to selecting reverse...:confused:

It should automatically return to it's normal positon prior to selecting reverse...:confused:

correct.

In any case you should put OFF the feature via the steering gear bottons, into the car menu. At least on my '03 W203.

I found that it does return but not as quick as you'd like - ie you're driving off down the road before it moves back. [edit, it was particularly slow returning on my W208 CLK55, which seems to be exacly what you have]

In some cars you turn it off in the menu - in others you can turn it off by selecting the driver/passenger mirror switch to driver side - which is also a good way of getting it to pop back up again rather than waiting for you to drive off

R

[edit, is your CLK55 designo varicolur 1 (blue/green) with TV and linguatronic - I keep wondering where my one has got to, it was my 1st AMG car]

I found that it does return but not as quick as you'd like - ie you're driving off down the road before it moves back. [edit, it was particularly slow returning on my W208 CLK55, which seems to be exacly what you have]

It's meant to be like this though isn't it?
My understanding is that is doesn't go back up simply by selecting 'D' because it thinks you are still parking up against a kerb.

It's only when the car reaches a certain speed that it thinks, "oh, driver is no longer trying to park the car so better move back up to normal driving position."

That's what I thought anyway.

Thanks all for the replies, I will have another look at it on my work later.:bannana:

Wish my mirrors did that - neat little trick;)

I have sneaky feeling the door module may be on the way out.

If you reverse and the mirror drops (remember only does this when the passenger mirror is selected on the mirror adjustment switch) as soon as you select drive the mirror should return to its position. However if you drive off too quick before the mirror returns it will not return as far as i am aware.

Again this may be a door module problem on it's own again.

I have the very same problem and the only way i seem to avoid it is if i wait before taking off after selecting drive.

If you have the memory seat option you can press the door switch and the mirror will return to the selected position.

Hope this makes sense.

...isn't it that this nice feature is available only if car is equipped with memory seat option?

...isn't it that this nice feature is available only if car is equipped with memory seat option?

In CLK W209 and C W203
-----------------------------------
- mirror frame with memory function
- door control module (if needed)
- Door coding
- Cluster coding

Quite simple and easy to do. Also works on SL, SLK and M according to my last installs.

My passenger side wing mirror moves automaticaly when I select reverse and points downwards at the rear wheel to avoid the kurbs with my alloys. Although I think this is a nice touch it does not reset itself again when you select drive.

Is there a way of setting the mirror up to move back to its original position when the car is in drive or if not to turn this function off?

G11Dom, as said by others this is correct - the mirror will stay down for 30 seconds to allow for parking (back & forth) and should then move back to the normal position. Sometime mine gets stcuk down so I flip the mirror switch to bring it back.

G11Dom, as said by others this is correct - the mirror will stay down for 30 seconds to allow for parking (back & forth) and should then move back to the normal position. Sometime mine gets stcuk down so I flip the mirror switch to bring it back.

Needs lubrication.

Mine sometimes forgets to come all the way up.:devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom