Winscreen wiper not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Omega

Hi guys,
2007 E220 CDI 211.
The passenger windscreen wiper on my car wouldn’t work this morning.
The driver side is o.k, so the motor must be alright. It worked fine yesterday.
There was a terrific frost last night & as I had to clean the windscreen, I made sure the wipers were free (not frozen to the screen) before operating them. They seemed o.k. After idling for a while to get some heat, I tried the wipers. The driver one worked. I knew the blade was free, so assumed that some linkage might be frozen.
After a trip to the hospital, the car was totally free from frost,,,, but the wiper still doesn’t work.
The driver one is unmovable by hand, where as the faulty one, does move by hand.
I’m hoping that a linkage might have come undone, but due to health problems, I can’t get to look at it for a day or so.

Is this a common occurrence with this model ?
Are there any ‘tests’ that I can try to see where a fault might lie ?
Are they easy to replace ?

Warranty finished November !

Any other help or advice welcome.

It sounds like you've stripped the spline from the rack to the arm. Look at whether the spindle moves. If it does and the arm doesn't you'll need a new wiper arm

Thanks 312,
That's exactly what i've done.
The nut that was holding the motorised spindle wasn't on tight enough,,,,, well, it just came off in my fingers. The other spindle, I assume is just a fulcrum for the system, & not energised.

Can we get replace 'links' for these or do we have to go for a new arm ?

thanks again

Just because the warranty ended in November, doesn't mean that the dealer isn't liable.

Have a chat with them, it is only a minor, if frustrating problem and they may well fix it for free.

Just tighten the nut that should be enough for it to stay on. When the wipers are turned on and frozen to the screen the motor undoes the nut.

Cheers guys,
If the alloy is soft enough to strip the splines, I guess it's soft enough to gouge some more if I tighten it enough.
Been in touch with the local MB, & he has offered some help.
Will sort it tomorrow,,,, and report back here.
thanks

I contacted the local MB outlet where I bought the car, and they are going to rectify it for me - at no cost.

He said that he'd "order some parts" so I don't know if he'll supply a new unit,,,, or just replace the links. Either way suits me,,,,, until the next time !

thanks all for your help.

Baz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom