Winter arrives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tmaoahthfte

Car
W220 320CDI Previously W210 220 CDI, W202 C200T KOMPRESSOR
Morning all. The first cold day of the year and the car will not fire up. There's fuel in the tank and the starter spins the engine over well as usual but not a peep out of it. It was fine yesterday when it was a balmy 13 degrees!

My first thoughts are that it might be the crank or cam sensors, it had a new crank sensor about 2 years ago when the same symptoms occurred and that fixed the problem on that occasion. Can I check these sensors with my multimeter to see if they are working correctly? And if so what values will I be looking for?

Cheers
Bob

I bet its the rubber "o" seals on the fuel lines. Typical sympton is not being able to start car in cold (or it takes a lot of cranking.

Usually better to repalce the fule lines complete rather than just the seals. Seals are a matter of pen. The (plastic) fuel lines about £40 each.

Turned out to be the cam sensor,I renewed all the pipework last year after the cold start became a bit of a lottery and the fuel filter about 2 months ago during a service.

The new sensor measures 2.5 ohms between pins 1 and 2, 1.8 between 2 and 3 as far as I can tell from my knackered old meter, which may be of use to others.

Bob

Turned out to be the cam sensor,I renewed all the pipework last year after the cold start became a bit of a lottery and the fuel filter about 2 months ago during a service.

The new sensor measures 2.5 ohms between pins 1 and 2, 1.8 between 2 and 3 as far as I can tell from my knackered old meter, which may be of use to others.

Bob

A well we would have been right last year. ;) Glad you got it sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom