Winter Driving in Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
I've had to scrape frost off my car for the last few mornings, and yesterday as I drove to work I noticed that the gritters had been out which got me to thinking... While I've driven in Germany and France regularly in summertime, I've never driven in either country in the winter months. I have a vague recollection of reading some years ago that Germany didn't grit its roads in winter. Is that correct, or did I dream it? It's of particular interest as I'll be picking up my W204 from Sindelfingen in mid-January.

Can anyone shed any light?

In much of Germany winter tyres are a legal requirement (most people have two sets of wheels, and swap them over). This might be an issue for you doing a factory collection in January.

In Germany there is a trend to reduce road salting on environmental grounds. Where does all the salt go: into the water table of course and it kills off trees at the roadside. A

There is a general campaign to reduce the use of road salt in terms of using wet sprays, limiting use to high risk roads or switching to CMA (Calcium Magnesium Acetate).

Road gritting on the other hand happens quite a lot, especially in Southern Germany and Austria. Being grit rather than salt it hangs around and compacts into the ice/snow and provides a better traction surface. But it is a bugger in terms of paint damage.

In much of Germany winter tyres are a legal requirement (most people have two sets of wheels, and swap them over). This might be an issue for you doing a factory collection in January.
Hopefully the nice people at MB UK Personal Collection have thought of that.But maybe I should pose the question, anyway.

I have done a personal collection in December and the car came with normal tyres.
The scenery was out of this world though as there had been a freezing fog and all the pine trees were white as sheets, beautifull.:D

We're off to Northern Germany in two weeks to see the christmas markets....hmmmmm....fingers crossed as I only have ordinary tyres on...

I have done a personal collection in December and the car came with normal tyres.

How long ago was that? Winter tyres only became a legal requirement (rather than a recommendation) in that area relatively recently ... couple of years ago I think.

You might get the car delivered with "all season" tyres for this reason, which may not be what you'd want for UK driving.

We're off to Northern Germany in two weeks to see the christmas markets....hmmmmm....fingers crossed as I only have ordinary tyres on...

The christmas market in Stuttgart was fab. I would love to go back on year just for that, which has given me a good idea for a short break next year:D

Check the law in that area, I've been told they are now getting quite strict on the use of winter tyres where they are required.

Hopefully the nice people at MB UK Personal Collection have thought of that.But maybe I should pose the question, anyway.

Yup, I definitely would. My in-laws live a short distance away BTW. Because of the tyre issue we fly there in winter and drive in the summer.

If driving to Germany between November and March you are strongly advised to buy or hire snow chains and to make sure that your existing tyres are in good condition and still have a generous amount of tread depth.

German cars are normally fitted with winter tyres; unfortunately these are difficult if not impossible to find in the UK. Snow chains are a cost effective alternative to winter tyres and are available from as little as £30. The maximum speed possible with snow chains is 30mph.

The new regulation, which came into force in May 2006, stipulates that winter tyres are not mandatory but on the spot fines of €20 can be imposed if tyres are found to be unsuitable for winter conditions. Vehicles causing an obstruction or are stranded due to inadequately equipped tyres whilst driving on ice or snow risk a fine of €40.

Snow chains can be hired from petrol stations in Germany and dropped off at another petrol station of the same brand. Usually though you have to have ADAC membership.

German cars are normally fitted with winter tyres; unfortunately these are difficult if not impossible to find in the UK. .
To be fair, I've never actually tried to buy winter tyres in the UK, but a fair few MB (and I daresay other RWD makes) owners fit them, so they must be obtainable. Costco advertise winter Michelin tyres.

The scenery was out of this world though as

we dissapeared off the road into it......

The German Christmas Market in Birmingham is much closer!! Started this week too I believe.

Thanks to everyone for the info. I've only been around this forum for a few weeks but have already noted that it's a rich seam of information :rock:

I'll question MB UK Personal Collection staff about this and post back in this thread if/when I get any further relevant info.

MB actually offers winter tyres as an option. You might still be able to select it if you want.

How long ago was that? Winter tyres only became a legal requirement (rather than a recommendation) in that area relatively recently ... couple of years ago I think.

You might get the car delivered with "all season" tyres for this reason, which may not be what you'd want for UK driving.

When I did the collection in December it was 2002 so it may well be the law has changed.

Has anyone used snowsocks?

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/autosock/

cheaper and easier than chains..... or should i get chains?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom