Winter engine warm-up question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tobyd@callnetuk

Hello.
I have a very short drive to work and when the cold winter weather appears my engine is barely warm by the time I get out. This isn't good for keeping the car dry and myself warm.
Has anyone any ideas of how I can speed up the engine warm up?

Thanks
Toby
S124 E280

Keep the car in a garage overnight and fit a block heater like they use in Scandanavia and other cold places.

Russ

Kenlowe do pre-heaters:

KENLOWE

Obviously you need mains power where the car is parked.

I have a Kenlowe block heater fitted to my 300td. In winter, I plug it in about 20 mins before I need the car.
It then starts without needing glowplug heat, but the bonus is the instant warm air for demisting etc. :)

Walk or take the scenic route?

I have a part number for the block heater for a M104 engine - am I right in thinking that the size of the hole in the block is the same on all Mercs of that era so it doesn't matter what model it states its for as it will fit all? Part number 6062000096

I thought you meant the engine heater was bad. I know short journeys aren't the best but its unavoidable hence why I want to look at reducing problems with a preheater - less strain on the battery, engine etc.

Also - make sure you use 0W oil, e.g. 0W-40.

Well I bought a Wolverine oil pan heater and fitted it last weekend which was nice and easy.
Will start using and see how it goes.

Would welcome a progress report in a week or so.

What do you do with the cable when you unplug it before setting off? Surely this doesn't involve scrabbling around under the engine to connect / disconnect it every time?

There were a number of options. One was to attach a simple plug with a chain of the same length as the cable to i could just back out of the drive and it would undo itself.
I decided that I would be better to have to unplug it myself and also having the plug low would be a pain and dirty. I have routed the wire up to the corner of the engine bay near the ABS pump.
I will plug it in at night and unplug it before I go to work.
I will post my thoughts soon - hope the weather gets colder soon!!

On my W124, there is a slot where you can put a piece of hardboard or cardboard in front of the radiator to block it off. I've done this every winter without problems.

In Winter, the issue will be worse but you may have issues running a car with a larger engine on short journeys full stop.

Can you not take the scenic route as suggested?

I'd personally consider a bike or walking if possible.

Well the heater is fitted and makes a nice difference in the morning.
The engine temp jumps straight to the 40 mark and then rises from there much quicker than without the preheater.

ALWAYS .... wait until the engine has reached normal operating temperature before driving the car. It takes a couple of minutes, doesn't burn as much fuel as driving a cold engine, doesn't cause unnecessary and totally avoidable wear to the engine and there are many more reasons.

Just get in the car, start the engine and wait until the temperature needle reaches eg. 90 degrees. There are lots of things you could do during this very short time, like put all your lights and 'hazards' on and walk around the car to check the lights are all working.

ALWAYS .... wait until the engine has reached normal operating temperature before driving the car. It takes a couple of minutes, doesn't burn as much fuel as driving a cold engine, doesn't cause unnecessary and totally avoidable wear to the engine and there are many more reasons.

Just get in the car, start the engine and wait until the temperature needle reaches eg. 90 degrees. There are lots of things you could do during this very short time, like put all your lights and 'hazards' on and walk around the car to check the lights are all working.

Are you sure of this information? As it's almost the complete opposite to what I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom