Winter engine warm-up question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ALWAYS .... wait until the engine has reached normal operating temperature before driving the car. It takes a couple of minutes, doesn't burn as much fuel as driving a cold engine, doesn't cause unnecessary and totally avoidable wear to the engine and there are many more reasons.

Just get in the car, start the engine and wait until the temperature needle reaches eg. 90 degrees. There are lots of things you could do during this very short time, like put all your lights and 'hazards' on and walk around the car to check the lights are all working.

I totally disagree. Driving the car is the best way to get the engine up to temp. Leaving it at idle will take a long time on a frosty morning and the engine will actually be operating for a longer time while cold, thus causing more damage.

Alternatives to block heaters are the Webasto parking heaters that MB offered as options when new. They can be retro fitted, although they are probably quite expensive now.

The worst option of all is a remote starter, as this would of course be just leaving your car at idle.

+2

All the car manuals I've ever read say start driving the car straight away and don't sit there idling when starting from cold.

Tricky with a foot of snow on the car so there are exceptions...

On my W124, there is a slot where you can put a piece of hardboard or cardboard in front of the radiator to block it off. I've done this every winter without problems.

yes this is an old trick i believe

Now that its really cold I gently rev the engine at 1500 for about a minute then drive off. This give it a nice little warmth, also I took off the viscious fan as it was stuck anyway, not too good to warm the engine with that...

On my W124, there is a slot where you can put a piece of hardboard or cardboard in front of the radiator to block it off. I've done this every winter without problems.

We do the same with the brother in law's W124. Also last year we put an old jacket between the bonnet and the engine. Warms up in minutes!! :D

I think i might have to invest in one of these - whats the cheapest option !?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom