Winter prep for my w124 e320 estate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michaelk3289, Oct 17, 2011.

1. michaelk3289

michaelk3289 Active Member

Car:
    1999 W210 E240 Avantgarde
    Hi Guys i have just had a lube service and gearbox servivce on my 94 e320 estate

what other jobs can be done and what shoould be checked to assist it through the winter

many thanks

Michael

2. hotrodder

hotrodder Active Member

Car:
    '93 320te
    If you don't know how old the battery is getting it load tested might be an idea if it's your only car/the one you rely on.
    Getting it up on stands and having a good poke around with a view to undersealing/waxoiling any vunerable bits like for example brake/fuel/suspension hard lines (obviously no need if they've been replaced with cuni). Check coolant strength if it wasn't changed as part of the service/recently. Stocking up with a decent screenwash now obviously makes more sense than having to buy **** stuff at a petrol garage after running out/finding out the summer mix has frozen. Giving it a good wax will make it easier to wash the winter crud off

1 person likes this.
  3. E CLASS

E CLASS Active Member

And add in winter tyres otherwise you won't be getting anywhere / safely!

1 person likes this.
  4. GP801

GP801 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK in UK, 1995 S124 E280 in Italy
    Agree with all the above. Clean out the rear wheel arch lips and if you can remove the front wing liners and clean inside the wings. They trap all sorts of muck. Add in a good dose of salt and the wings will rot quickly. A healthy coat of waxoyl, dinitrol or similar would be a good idea. Ours was fine in the snow last year on 15 inch wheels with summer tyres.

1 person likes this.
  5. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Enthusiast

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    Rain channels need clearing too. Leaf grunge down there can lead to all sorts of grief.

Stories of water seeping into fuse boxes are not uncommon as the water cannot get away down the channels.

Also the water runoffs under the rear "wings" need to be clear. again it stops water lodging in the "wells" Whilst you're at it do the front ones too.

Edit.
    Mr Walker's Boys:thumb: fitted me a new battery tray today. The old original one was corroded through and it was manky as hell underneath.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    Pressure wash the underside and Dinitrol it. Well worth it IMO.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gawdi

Gawdi Active Member

Car:
    300D
    I must admit I'm puzzled by all this stuff about winter tyres now... to me its a load of balony - a decent set of tyres will do you summer and winter...

3 people like this.
  8. hotrodder

hotrodder Active Member

Car:
    '93 320te
    A quick bump as i've just had to deal with another potential weak point (for w124 estates at least) that an occasional clean and wax/underseal would have prevented or at least delayed

The area where the fuel filler pipe meets the tank is right in the firing line of crap thrown up by the o/s rear wheel and sure enough mine started leaking recently (well the leak became noticable from the slight whiff of petrol and the wrinkled up paint made a good substitute for X marks the spot). It's not like the area was covered in stone chips as from a cursory look the tank had appeared pretty clean the last time i was under the car but moisture had gotten under the coating and after dropping the tank and cleaning it up i was faced with this...

Attached Files: