Winter preparation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astamir

MB Enthusiast
Car
w208 silver clk55
Hi guys
Going to prepare for a winter and looking for a rust treatment before I spray any stone chips or under seal paints
Anyone knows what can I use to remove the rust under the arches and under the door sills?
Any suggestion would be very much appreciated
Thanks

angle grinder ?

On mine, gave the arches a good clean with a hose. I then removed the wheels, (a week later when all was dry) and put some old sheets under the car and over the discs.

I then applied hammerite really thickly and let it drip into all of the hard to reach places.

Finally when the hammerite had gone off, I brushed underseal over the top of it.

That seemed to do the job, but it will only delay the rust if it has started. As Howard has said, the only way to properly eliminate it is to go back to unaffected metal, and weld in new panels.

Do any of the various 'rust neutralisers' such as Jenolite actually work?

The thing is recently bought a car and when I took off the side skirts found out a big surprise under them on rear sills and after a thorough investigation under the wheel arches can see a bit rust just starting to pop out so thinking to give a good preparation for the winter otherwise will get worse after the winter
Thanks for the tips guys

Probably a bit late in the year to do any rustproofing unless you can guarantee that the underside will be absolutely dry before you apply whatever treatment you choose.

I use Waxoyl but it will seal in moisture (and make rust problems worse) unless it goes onto clean + bone dry metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom