Winter run-around

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by g5und, Aug 28, 2017.

1. g5und

g5und Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 Edition 507 AMG Coupe
    So I'm considering getting a little run-around for the winter months and putting the 507 in the garage except for sunny, non salty road days :) Considering a polo gti dsg.

Anyone else out there do this? any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune obviously. Cheers!

2. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI - W212 E250 CDI
    What's worrying you? Shouldn't be a rust issue on a newer car?

3. Happytalk73

Happytalk73 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Vito
  4. OP
    OP
    g5und

Car:
    The rust isn't concerning me - just want to keep it low mileage and use it as a weekend/summer car in nice weather. I know some would say just drive it but I couldn't face getting it out on an icy/snowy day in the winter to get to work...

5. mark44

mark44 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 Estate Edition 507
    Golf r - all wheel drive. Perfect for winter

6. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    Personally, if you're going to mothball the C63 in the winter then I wouldn't be looking at anything vaguely "nice" as a winter hack.

Why not just get an old snotter eurobox hatch that already has a few battle scars? That way you won't get upset when some clown slides into you, or opens their door onto it in the supermarket carpark. Buy sensibly, and you can move it on again in the spring for what you pay for it later this year.

It has the added advantage that the C63 will feel even more special when you do drive it.

7. fabes

fabes Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E 350CGI Coupe and QQ+2
    Perhaps two birds with one stone.....

Get a load lugger (AWD why not) as I take it the C63 isn't used for removals, tips, and lugging stuff around given you take care of it?

Some decent power estates or SUV options around (if mpg isn't too much of an issue)
    Also a very different driving experience.

It's what I have just done with a mate (he's not got a C63 though, just something RWD he doesn't want to mess up or wrap around a tree in the winter)

8. daveenty

daveenty Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Watch this space
    I always did this for the same reasons as you, keeping the Merc clean and the miles off it mainly. The best one I had was an old Subaru Outback.

4WD, large capacity estate and just kept going through snow, slush and anything else on it's many tip runs. :)

Not good on fuel, though better than the Jeep which replaced it...

9. OP
    OP
    g5und

Car:
    Some interesting ideas here I hadn't considered! Thanks! Will look around and see what I can come up with :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    My CLS doesn't get to go near the nasty salty roads in the winter plus I like to keep the mileage down on it for boring journeys.

I have an E320 (w211) as my daily and that works brilliantly all year round. :)

That said if you fancy something fun and in hot hatch territory, a Clio 197/200 would be my vote.

11. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    Saw Polo GTi in Motorpoint, nearly new under £15k

12. adz87kc

adz87kc Active Member

Car:
    C63
    K11 Micra! Hillarious fun to drive on the limit and so cheap they're disposable come the good weather.
    'Best' car I've ever owned.

1 person likes this.
  13. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R172 SLK 55AMG , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Try a Smartfortwo

14. E55 BBA

E55 BBA Active Member

Car:
    E55
    I had a for two that was great in the snow/bad weather..weight over the driving wheels and narrow front tyres which act like skis..

I wouldn't run my E55 through the winter..we use the wife's ML 300 dog/load/people hauler which laughs at bad weather.

15. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    Volvo. As big as possible (preferably an estate), as cheap as possible.

My last was a £400 S70 with heated velour, with a previous owner who viewed that parking was a contact sport. The novelty of simply not giving two hoots about it was refreshing; it shrugged off a fairly sizeable impact when I got caught up in someone else's accident at a junction, numerous car park incidents and very few would dare to carve it up.

16. Happytalk73

Happytalk73 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Vito
    Quite a few mentions of snow in this thread. I honestly can't remember the last time we had any heavy enough to effect driving.

17. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    We actually had a fairly hefty downfall my way (Surrey) which of course led to train chaos and gridlocked roads.

That said my other half managed to get her SL home from work so wasn't a dire need of a 4x4 haha. :thumb:

18. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W215 CL500, W168 A-140.
    Subaru Legacy, or Forrester for the winter, comfy, strong, 4x4, with winter tyres they can plug on thru the snow!

19. E55 BBA

E55 BBA Active Member

Car:
    E55
    True enough, but heavy rain, ice etc are all times when high power/torque RWD cars are less than ideal.
    In those circumstances the weight, traction and solidity of an ML or something similar make the whole experience a lot safer..plus it's such a handy vehicle to have around for load carrying etc.
    If I had to have only one vehicle in the household it would almost certainly be the ML.

1 person likes this.
  20. DavidL

DavidL Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    s211 E55 , s203 C55
    Make sure you try a vag dsg box before you buy one. Especially pulling away from stationary. We have it in a fabia vrs and I hate it!