Winter run-around

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g5und

Car
C63 Edition 507 AMG Coupe
So I'm considering getting a little run-around for the winter months and putting the 507 in the garage except for sunny, non salty road days :) Considering a polo gti dsg.

Anyone else out there do this? any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune obviously. Cheers!

So I'm considering getting a little run-around for the winter months and putting the 507 in the garage except for sunny, non salty road days :) Considering a polo gti dsg.

Anyone else out there do this? any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune obviously. Cheers!

What's worrying you? Shouldn't be a rust issue on a newer car?

clk320x said:
What's worrying you? Shouldn't be a rust issue on a newer car?

The rust isn't concerning me - just want to keep it low mileage and use it as a weekend/summer car in nice weather. I know some would say just drive it but I couldn't face getting it out on an icy/snowy day in the winter to get to work...

Golf r - all wheel drive. Perfect for winter

Personally, if you're going to mothball the C63 in the winter then I wouldn't be looking at anything vaguely "nice" as a winter hack.

Why not just get an old snotter eurobox hatch that already has a few battle scars? That way you won't get upset when some clown slides into you, or opens their door onto it in the supermarket carpark. Buy sensibly, and you can move it on again in the spring for what you pay for it later this year.

It has the added advantage that the C63 will feel even more special when you do drive it.

Perhaps two birds with one stone.....

Get a load lugger (AWD why not) as I take it the C63 isn't used for removals, tips, and lugging stuff around given you take care of it?

Some decent power estates or SUV options around (if mpg isn't too much of an issue)
Also a very different driving experience.

It's what I have just done with a mate (he's not got a C63 though, just something RWD he doesn't want to mess up or wrap around a tree in the winter)

I always did this for the same reasons as you, keeping the Merc clean and the miles off it mainly. The best one I had was an old Subaru Outback.

4WD, large capacity estate and just kept going through snow, slush and anything else on it's many tip runs. :)

Not good on fuel, though better than the Jeep which replaced it...

Some interesting ideas here I hadn't considered! Thanks! Will look around and see what I can come up with :)

My CLS doesn't get to go near the nasty salty roads in the winter plus I like to keep the mileage down on it for boring journeys.

I have an E320 (w211) as my daily and that works brilliantly all year round. :)

That said if you fancy something fun and in hot hatch territory, a Clio 197/200 would be my vote.

Saw Polo GTi in Motorpoint, nearly new under £15k

K11 Micra! Hillarious fun to drive on the limit and so cheap they're disposable come the good weather.
'Best' car I've ever owned.

Try a Smartfortwo

Try a Smartfortwo

I had a for two that was great in the snow/bad weather..weight over the driving wheels and narrow front tyres which act like skis..

I wouldn't run my E55 through the winter..we use the wife's ML 300 dog/load/people hauler which laughs at bad weather.

Volvo. As big as possible (preferably an estate), as cheap as possible.

My last was a £400 S70 with heated velour, with a previous owner who viewed that parking was a contact sport. The novelty of simply not giving two hoots about it was refreshing; it shrugged off a fairly sizeable impact when I got caught up in someone else's accident at a junction, numerous car park incidents and very few would dare to carve it up.

Quite a few mentions of snow in this thread. I honestly can't remember the last time we had any heavy enough to effect driving.

Quite a few mentions of snow in this thread. I honestly can't remember the last time we had any heavy enough to effect driving.

We actually had a fairly hefty downfall my way (Surrey) which of course led to train chaos and gridlocked roads.

That said my other half managed to get her SL home from work so wasn't a dire need of a 4x4 haha. :thumb:

Subaru Legacy, or Forrester for the winter, comfy, strong, 4x4, with winter tyres they can plug on thru the snow!

True enough, but heavy rain, ice etc are all times when high power/torque RWD cars are less than ideal.
In those circumstances the weight, traction and solidity of an ML or something similar make the whole experience a lot safer..plus it's such a handy vehicle to have around for load carrying etc.
If I had to have only one vehicle in the household it would almost certainly be the ML.

Make sure you try a vag dsg box before you buy one. Especially pulling away from stationary. We have it in a fabia vrs and I hate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom