Winter setting Gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
I love my E320 but god its cr_p in the snow too much power. I was driving up a smallish hill and talk about sideways motion. I had it in W mode I totally lost speed and stopped. Any tips for powerful cars in the snow?

Regards
Ian

Originally posted by rirhill
I love my E320 but god its cr_p in the snow too much power. I was driving up a smallish hill and talk about sideways motion. I had it in W mode I totally lost speed and stopped. Any tips for powerful cars in the snow?

If you really can't get up a hill forwards you might be able to go up in reverse, W mode has a second sinister reverse gear which is SLOW even with about half throttle, very handy for hills.

I've got the same problem with my E55,

Best solution I've found is

a) carry rock salt & a shovel - no really i've had to salt my own bit of road at the worst point - just to get out onto the main road

b) carry 4 or 5 bags of sand in the boot - the extra weight seems to help with traction on the rear driving wheels. FWD cars have no probs.

c) If you have EPS /traction control, try switching that off

:)

I might put my 15" AMG alloys on !!! :eek:

Originally posted by Koolvin
I might put my 15" AMG alloys on !!! :eek:

You look after those, I'm gonna buy them of you one day!

We haven't got any snow here so couldn't comment on driving a MB in the stuff, but I have had great fun trying to get out of my garage/barn these last few mornings.

There is a solid sheet of frozen water about 20ft x 30ft right outside, I find just going slowly and steady is no problem but if you just blip the throttle the back end just goes and not even the ASR helps you get going again.

Slightly OT, does ASR work at all speeds? On my previous motor a Vito van the ASR only worked at low speeds up to about 35mph which was fine for pulling away but no use when driving briskly.

Mine worked last night going round a roundabout at about 30ish (thank goodness it did:eek: ), have not had the opportunity to try it any faster than that yet, well it is a C180 after all.:p

Remember to go steady, we don't want to read posts of bashed benzes.:bannana:

I wouldn t complain if I had a safe open space to practice my snow handling.
One thing I would say is that the Traction control does tend to keep you in a straight line. As soon as I turn it off **** slides to the left which when you have just bought the car I don t really wanna hurt her.
Oh bye the way we are getting almost 2 inches in London today.

Regards
Ian

Originally posted by jimmy
We haven't got any snow here so couldn't comment on driving a MB in the stuff, but I have had great fun trying to get out of my garage/barn these last few mornings.

I spoke too soon................it is snowing alot here now.

Maybe I will be trying out driving in the snow after all.:bannana:

Originally posted by jimmy
Slightly OT, does ASR work at all speeds? On my previous motor a Vito van the ASR only worked at low speeds up to about 35mph which was fine for pulling away but no use when driving briskly.

Remember to go steady, we don't want to read posts of bashed benzes.:bannana:

On the A2 last week I went through some deep service water. I was at a steady 60mph and the ASR light flashed a few times whilst the steering went light :confused: .

So yes I would say it does at 60mph at least:confused: :D .

Originally posted by Paul
On the A2 last week I went through some deep service water. I was at a steady 60mph and the ASR light flashed a few times whilst the steering went light :confused: .

So yes I would say it does at 60mph at least:confused: :D .

I have had ASR kick in at 70 + (dry road - a manual thing ;) ) , I think it must work at all speeds.

Another question............

I have seen many threads on how ASR works, engine torque cut, brake applied to spinning wheel etc etc.

BUT,

How does the ASR determine a wheel is spinning?

Does it just compare left and right rear for a difference, or does it take the fronts into account?

I ask, as on a few occasions, I have though that under heavy straight line acceleration, I have had wheelspin, but with no ASR spoiling the fun. My only explanation either being my senses are wrong, or both rear wheels have been spinning much in sync, so no slip has been detected.

But , doesn't one drive wheel always turn faster than the other one ??

ESP is superb , it sorted me out on snow in an A class ;-)

[
How does the ASR determine a wheel is spinning?

[/B]
Graham,
I believe it works by using the ABS speed sensors on the rear wheels.

I think it basically works like a rev' limiter.

Come on K, you must know :D .

Graham, first of all, i'm pretty sure you have a limited slip differential, so your wheels should spin together anyway.

The ASR does indead use the ABS sensor system which feeds the info to an ECU which determines it using the front wheels as a baseline.

ESP is the advanced version which can brake individual wheels and really does help in completley stopping slides.

Have tested it in an E200K in a soaked field, and it wouldnt go sideways at ANY speed with the ESP on, but with it off... :D

Have had the ESP come on in the ML at 80 :confused: flippin scary, a 10foot or so channel of water covering the motorway with no warning. It began to vere to the left, then i felt the ESP kick in, and it brought it back onto track...

Have also tested the traction on the V12 last week.
Normally get no spin at all, with 295's on the back, so decided to disable to ASR, to do it i had to remove the ECU, which left the ASR light on permanently. I couldnt believe how easily those rear wheels light up despite being 295/35/20's, it really shows how well the ASR works...

Last edited:
Originally posted by V12
Graham, first of all, i'm pretty sure you have a limited slip differential, so your wheels should spin together anyway.

The ASR does indead use the ABS sensor system which feeds the info to an ECU which determines it using the front wheels as a baseline.

If it does use the front wheels as a baseline and doesn't just compare a difference between the two rears, that KILLS my theory!!

V12 - I would love it if I had a LSD, but I have always been told (only from other forums) that my car would not have one and it was not even an option as ASR is (and more) the electronic equivalent.

Hhhmm, i know that the 124's 300-24v and upwards all have limited slip diff's and all 140 models do, but not too sure on the 202's... :confused:

I hate the snow :(

Car bounced of a kerb the other day taking a sizeable chunk out one of my 17;s :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom