Winter storage and fuel additves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

demetrios

Car
R129 500SL
Hi all
About to store my 500sl til april and was wondering if i need ro do anything to petrol in tank? Will it be ok left in tank until then?
Also
Do you recommend any fuel additives?
Its a 92 500sl with 78k kilometres

I never do anything special over winter.

Mine doesn't get used a lot either (56k miles) ... my routine is to park it without much fuel in the tank then top up with as much fresh fuel as I need (no more) when I take it out. I always use V-Power, which contains additives anyway.

Well when I put a car to bed for the winter I used to give it a good run and I used to put Wynns in for this last run just to make certain the car was cleaned out and then made sure it was a dry day rather like today in Essex sunny and dry then put the battery on trickle charger and left it until April when I never got a no start or a problem running it,I always made the first stop to top the tank up,I have never stored a car for longer than the winter months,if you are looking to store it for a much longer time then I am sure we have members who will have the right info to do that well.

Yup mine is on a maintenance charger at all times ... that's essential IMHO.

What is wynns? Gonna give it a few good runs blow the cobwebs out now i have new tires on the rear

There's a product called Staybil here in the US that helps with fuel that has ethanol mixed in. I'd drop some in the tank and it should help stop fuel breaking down. I've used it on cars and also small engines like weed eaters, blowers and mowers. It does help the fuel lines from getting eaten away and the carbs from gumming up.

I never do anything special over winter.

Mine doesn't get used a lot either (56k miles) ... my routine is to park it without much fuel in the tank then top up with as much fresh fuel as I need (no more) when I take it out. I always use V-Power, which contains additives anyway.

The idea for storage is to brim it so moisute in the tank has no place to accumulate .

Wynns is only a fuel additive cost today around £8 in any car parts shop,I put it in to just give the engine a clean out on the last run before the car went to it's winter bed.

The idea for storage is to brim it so moisute in the tank has no place to accumulate .

I know that's common practice. But fuel also degrades with time, and a premium fuel may be older when you put it in your car than standard unleaded would be (because it doesn't turn over so quickly at the forecourt). I'd rather have a small amount of aged fuel (that I can dilute with fresh when I next use the car) than a full tank of it. I've had my SL for 14 years now and (touch wood!) this has worked for me so far.

Welli started it today and drove it for first time in 7 weeks or so and was beautiful. Fired up no issues even though left on driveway with no maintenance charger.
Hazard lights did flash quickly whenever i closed the door for first 10mins of it starting but that stopped.
Put some tesco momentum 99octane in it and it didnt miss a beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom